The Mitsubishi Motors Corporation is a Japanese multinational automotive manufacturer that belongs to the Mitsubishi Group of companies.
The automotive side of Mitsubishi started with the Mitsubishi Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. in 1917. The company eventually merged with the Mitsubishi Aircraft Co. in 1934 to create Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. This company produced vehicles for military use during World War II as well as railroad cars, buses, cargo vehicles, and scooters. Due to a booming Japanese economy in the 1960s, the company produced and sold the Mitsubishi 500 as its first passenger model for the mass market. After different makes and models were developed over the next several years, a single operation was created to focus on the automotive industry, resulting in the founding of Mitsubishi Motors in 1970.
Mitsubishi spent many years partnering with companies for American exports, most famously in its venture with Chrysler resulting in Diamond-Star Motors. Currently, Mitsubishi is a member of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance of French and Japanese manufacturers and is partially owned by Nissan.
Featured Vehicle: Outlander
About Honda | Mazda | Nissan | Subaru | Toyota
All Mitsubishi Vehicles:
Mirage: A subcompact car and one of the smallest and most affordable vehicles on today’s market
SUVs and Minivans:
Outlander Sport: A subcompact SUV that’s also known as the Mitsubishi RVR
Eclipse Cross: A sleek compact SUV and one of Mitsubishi’s most recent models
Outlander: A compact crossover SUV that’s also available as a PHEV (Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle)
Recently Discontinued Vehicles
Eclipse: A compact, sleek, and affordable sports car
Lancer: A compact sedan model nameplate that’s been sold under various brands, including Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth
Montero: A rugged full-size SUV model bigger than the Outlander
- Comfort: The 2022 Mitsubishi Outlander Just Won Most Improved SUV
- EVs: Mitsubishi’s Cheap Electric Car Was Too Good to Be True
- Hybrids: The 2022 Outlander PHEV Is Ready to Fight for Its Place in the Hybrid Space
- Performance: The Worst Mitsubishi Eclipse Model Year Had Catastrophic Transmission Problems
- Reliability: How Reliable Is the Mitsubishi Mirage?
- Safety: 2022 Mitsubishi Outlander Awarded Highest IIHS Safety Rating After Improving Headlights
- Technology: Does the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross Have Apple CarPlay?