The Subaru Forester is a compact SUV model produced and sold by the automobile manufacturing division of the Subaru Corporation. The Subaru Forester is sized and priced between the smaller Subaru Crosstrek compact SUV and the larger Subaru Outback station wagon.
The Forester started as the Streega concept vehicle that was introduced at the 1995 Tokyo Motor Show. A production model was released in 1997 for the 1998 model year as a replacement for the Subaru Bighorn, which was a rebadged version of the Isuzu Trooper. It was one of the first models in the growing class of crossover SUVs, with a car/sedan body on a lifted platform that offered all-wheel drive.
The Subaru Forester debuted its fifth and current generation at the 2018 New York International Auto Show, now built on the Subaru Global Platform and with standard all-wheel drive. Its compact crossover SUV class competitors include the Jeep Cherokee, the Kia Sportage, the Honda CR-V, the Mazda CX-5, the Toyota RAV4, and the Volkswagen Tiguan.
- 2022 Subaru Forester (Starting MSRP $25,195)
- Pros: The unique and attractive design of the Subaru Forester comes with a comfortable two-row cabin design, smooth driving dynamics, and plenty of cargo space.
- Cons: The Forester accelerates slowly for its class, and its base trim level lacks a lot of desirable features.
- See Also: Crosstrek and Outback
- How safe is the Subaru Forester?
- What are the most common problems of the Subaru Forester?
- What is the Subaru Forester Wilderness?
- Subaru Forester vs. Subaru Outback