The Toyota Prius is a hybrid hatchback model produced and sold by the Toyota Motor Corporation. An iconic name in the automotive market, the Toyota Prius is the landmark compact hybrid car of the world, known for popularizing the trend of hybrid electric vehicles that led to the current era of electrification.
In production since 1997, the first model introduced to American drivers was the 2001 Toyota Prius as a four-door sedan. However, since its 2003 model year, the Toyota Prius has been exclusively sold as a five-door hatchback model. Additionally, after the success of the standard Prius model, Toyota decided to create a lineup of Prius vehicles. Those included the subcompact Prius c and the extended wagon-like Prius v. Although both the Prius c and Prius v have been canceled in the U.S., the Prius Prime, a slightly more upscale and plug-in hybrid (PHEV) variant of the Prius, is still available for American drivers.
While once standing on its own as a unique alternative fuel source model, the modern Toyota Prius has plenty of competition. Other hybrid car and hatchback competitors include the Kia Niro, the Honda Insight, the Hyundai Ioniq, and the Toyota Corolla.
- 2022 Toyota Prius (Starting MSRP: $24,525)
- Pros: The Toyota Prius is an affordable and fuel-efficient hybrid for daily commutes and city driving, now with optional all-wheel drive.
- Cons: Though once the king of its class, the Toyota Prius is no longer the premier hybrid to choose from, with many challengers in terms of style, price, and range.
- See Also: Prius Prime
- How reliable is the Toyota Prius?
- How many miles will a Toyota Prius last?
- Toyota to launch a hydrogen-powered Prius
- What’s the difference between the Prius and the Prius Prime?
The 2019 Toyota Prius Is a Better Buy Than the 2020
The 2022 Toyota Prius Nightshade Edition Shows That Black Is the New Green
Toyota Prius: A history of the Ugly Duckling of Hybrid Cars
Ultra-Weird Predator Toyota Prius Is a Near-Silent Hunting Machine
Don’t Let the 2021 Toyota Prius 2020 Edition Confuse You