The Ford Explorer is a midsize SUV model produced and sold by the Ford Motor Company. First introduced as a two-door compact SUV, the Explorer model has been sold very successfully as a four-door midsize crossover SUV since its 2011 model year and is now the best-selling SUV of all time in the U.S. Within the Ford catalog, the Explorer is sized between the Ford Edge and the Ford Expedition.
The first vehicle released under the nameplate was the 1991 Ford Explorer, introduced to replace the outgoing Bronco II two-door wagon. The Ford Motor Company chose the name Explorer from a trim level package offered on previous Ford F-Series pickup trucks.
Now on its sixth generation, the Ford Explorer has seen many changes and interpretations over the years, including its prominent use as a police vehicle and its rebadging as the more feature-heavy Lincoln Aviator luxury SUV. Its top competitors include the Chevy Traverse, the Kia Telluride, the Mazda CX-9, and the Toyota Highlander.
- 2022 Ford Explorer (Starting MSRP $33,245)
- Pros: The Ford Explorer midsize SUV offers plenty of cargo space, comfortable front seating, and smooth handling on the road.
- Cons: The interior materials of the Explorer feel cheap, and its third row is cramped for passenger use.
- See Also: Edge and Escape
- How safe is the Ford Explorer?
- How long will a Ford Explorer last?
- What is the Ford Explorer Timberline?
- Is there a Ford Explorer EV?