The Hyundai Ioniq is a compact hatchback model produced and sold by the Hyundai Motor Company. The Ioniq is unique within Hyundai’s catalog, as it is offered with hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and electric powertrain variants.
The Hyundai Ioniq is one of the newest nameplates in Hyundai’s catalog of vehicles. All three powertrain variants of the Hyundai Ioniq debuted in 2016 at the Geneva Motor Show and the New York International Auto Show. Upon release, all three versions of the Ioniq were praised for their eco-friendly nature, alternative fuel sources, and fuel efficiency. Of particular note was the Hyundai Ioniq Electric, which was judged as the EPA’s most efficient vehicle at the time. Additionally, Hyundai has big plans for the nameplate as the Ioniq lineup will soon be expanding, with an Ioniq 5 electric SUV model going on sale soon and Ioniq 6 and 7 models announced for the near future.
With its variety of powertrains, rivals to the Hyundai Ioniq are hard to pin down, but similarly sized competitors in the hybrid and EV markets include the Chevy Bolt EV and EUV, the Hyundai Kona, the Kia Niro, the Nissan Leaf, and the Toyota Prius.
- 2022 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid (Starting MSRP $23,600)
- 2021 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-Hybrid (Starting MSRP $26,700)
- 2021 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (Starting MSRP $33,245)
- Pros: The Hyundai Ioniq hybrid models boast excellent fuel economy ratings, comfortable driving experiences, and comfortable cabins with eco-friendly materials. As for the Ioniq Electric, it comes with plenty of standard driver-assistance features and a tremendous warranty.
- Cons: All Ioniq models come with underwhelming acceleration and handling. Additionally, the Ioniq PHEV comes with less storage space (than the regular Ioniq), and the Ioniq Electric lacks availability for most drivers, as it’s currently only available in 14 states.
- See Also: Ioniq 5 and Nexo
- How fuel-efficient are the Hyundai Ioniq hybrid models?
- How much range does the Hyundai Ioniq Plug-In Hybrid have?
- How much range does the Hyundai Ioniq Electric have?
- Hyundai Ioniq vs. Toyota Prius