The Lexus IS is a compact executive car/luxury sedan model produced and sold by the Lexus luxury vehicle division of Toyota. Within the Lexus vehicle catalog’s sedan lineup, the IS is the smallest and most affordable option. It is sized and priced below the Lexus ES midsize executive car and the Lexus LS full-size luxury sedan.
The Lexus IS (Intelligent Sport) was first released in 1998 and was marketed in Japan as the Toyota Altezza for its first generation. It was initially developed with a more performance-focused nature in mind to compete against sports sedan models from European marques such as Alfa Romeo, BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, and Porsche.
The IS is currently in its third generation and is available in multiple variants, including an F Sport performance trim level model. Its luxury sedan rivals include the Audi A4, the BMW 3-Series, the Cadillac CT4, the Genesis G70, and the Mercedes-Benz C-Class.
- 2022 Lexus IS (Starting MSRP $38,625)
- Pros: The Lexus IS compact executive car/luxury sedan has very handsome and sharp exterior styling, a suitably upscale interior, and comfortable seating worthy of more expensive models.
- Cons: Rear seating is tight in the IS. Additionally, most of its rivals provide more power and better driving dynamics.
- See Also: ES and LS
- How reliable is the Lexus IS?
- What are the most common problems of the Lexus IS?
- Lexus IS vs. Infiniti Q50
- Lexus IS vs. Mercedes-Benz CLA