The Volkswagen Golf is a compact hatchback model produced and sold by the Volkswagen Group. The Golf nameplate is also used for a lineup of VW models. In addition to the standard Golf, there is the more powerful and sporty Golf GTI, the performance-focused Golf R, and the Golf SportWagen and Alltrack wagons. Lastly, there is also the electric e-Golf, which has now been replaced by the Volkswagen ID.3.
The very first Volkswagen Golf model debuted in 1974. It was introduced as a replacement for the first generation of the Volkswagen Beetle and was sold as the Volkswagen Rabbit in the U.S.
Currently, the Volkswagen Golf is in its eighth generation (Golf Mk8), but no eighth-generation Golf models have yet come to America. The Golf SportWagen and Alltrack models were discontinued after the 2019 model year, and the standard Golf is set to be discontinued after the 2021 model year. However, the eighth-generation Volkswagen Golf GTI and Golf R models are set to arrive before the end of 2021.
Competitors of the versatile Volkswagen Golf include the Fiat 500X and the hatchback versions of the Mazda3, Honda Civic, and Toyota Corolla.
- 2021 Volkswagen Golf (Starting MSRP $23,195)
- Pros: The Volkswagen Golf hatchback provides a ton of cargo space for its size, superb handling behind the wheel, and both automatic and manual transmission options.
- Cons: The baseline Golf doesn’t have much power (especially compared to the Golf GTI and Golf R) and lacks many configuration options.
- See Also: Golf GTI and Golf R
- Can a tall person drive a Volkswagen Golf?
- How reliable is the Volkswagen Golf?
- How safe is the Volkswagen Golf?
- Volkswagen Golf vs. Volkswagen Golf GTI
- Volkswagen Golf R vs. Honda Civic Type R
The 2021 Volkswagen Golf Gives You SUV-Like Versatility and Comfort
America Is Losing the Best Cheap Car We Have an You Can Blame Crossover Owners
The 2022 VW Golf R Estate Is Slower Than the Golf R, But Still 1 of the Coolest Wagons Ever
Volkswagen Brings Back Harlequin Golf for 2021
A Teacher’s 15-Year Search for His Old Volkswagen Golf GTI