The Kia Carnival is a minivan model produced and sold by Kia Motors. Since its release in North America, the Kia Sedona was the minivan model’s name but has been called the Carnival in global markets since its production began in 1998. However, after its most recent redesign for its fourth generation, Kia America decided to christen the American Sedona as the 2022 Kia Carnival MPV.
MPV stands for multi-purpose vehicle and is most likely an attempt by Kia to distance the Carnival from the dying market of minivan models and christen it as “SUV-like”. However, the new Kia Carnival is, through and through, a minivan build despite this branding. Still, several of the new style cues, accessories, and features of the Carnival are influenced by SUVs that, along with its name change, are trying to bring in a new audience of car shoppers to the Carnival without sacrificing the benefits of its minivan interior. The Carnival’s main minivan competitors include the Chrysler Pacifica, the Honda Odyssey, and the Toyota Sienna.
- 2022 Kia Carnival (Starting MSRP: $32,100)
- Pros: The Kia Carnival is a much more stylized and refined version of the Sedona a better powertrain, smooth handling, and a lot of space.
- Cons: Despite its sharp redesign, the Carnival lacks an all-wheel drive option and less cargo space than its minivan competitors.
- See Also: Sedona and Telluride
- What happened to the Kia Sedona?
- How stylish is the Kia Carnival?
- Is the Kia Carnival a minivan?
- Kia Carnival vs. Chrysler Pacifica