Cheapest New Hybrid SUV Has Best Gas Mileage for SUV: 53 MPG!
Hybrid SUVs are in high demand right now. Drivers are drawn to the combination of utility and high fuel economy. Also, for those that desire an affordable option, there’s a solid pick: the 2023 Kia Niro. It’s the cheapest new hybrid SUV. On top of that, the Niro has the best gas mileage for an SUV — with an estimated fuel economy of 53 combined mpg.
2023 Kia Niro is the cheapest new hybrid SUV
With a starting price of $26,500 MSRP, the 2023 Kia Niro is the cheapest new hybrid SUV. The next most affordable one is the 2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid, which starts at $27,490 MSRP.
Here are the cheapest new hybrid SUVs:
- 2023 Kia Niro: $26,500 MSRP
- 2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid: $27,490 MSRP
- 2023 Toyota Corolla Cross: $27,970 MSRP
- 2023 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid: $31,225 MSRP
- 2023 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid: $31,350 MSRP
- 2023 Honda CR-V Hybrid: $32,400 MSRP
- 2023 Ford Escape Hybrid: $33,340 MSRP
- 2023 Toyota Venza: $34,260 MSRP
- 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe Hybrid: $35,910 MSRP
- 2023 Lexus UX: $36,490 MSRP
This list of affordable new hybrid SUVs is dominated by foreign car brands. Along with Kia, this includes Toyota, Lexus, Honda, and Hyundai. The only American automaker on the list is Ford.
Kia Niro has the best gas mileage for an SUV
In addition to being the cheapest new hybrid SUV, the 2023 Kia Niro has the best fuel economy for an SUV (not including EVs). It gets an estimated gas mileage of 53 combined mpg. The next most efficient one is also the second-most affordable from the earlier list: the Sportage Hybrid (43 combined mpg).
View the SUVs with the best gas mileage:
- 2023 Kia Niro: 53 combined mpg
- 2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid: 43 combined mpg
- 2023 Lexus UX: 42 combined mpg
- 2023 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid: 40 combined mpg
- 2023 Honda CR-V: 40 combined mpg
- 2023 Lexus NX: 39 combined mpg
- 2023 Toyota Venza: 39 combined mpg
- 2023 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid: 38 combined mpg
- 2023 Lexus RX: 36 combined mpg
- 2023 Toyota Highlander Hybrid: 36 combined mpg
SUVs tend to be gas-guzzlers, but these models defy this trend. With their high fuel economy, owners can save much money at the pump. While the price of gasoline has dropped since last year, it’s still a major cost of vehicle ownership. And the high-level efficiency of the Niro helps relieve this financial burden.
2023 Niro is redesigned
Furthermore, the Kia Niro is thoroughly redesigned for the 2023 model year. It has a futuristic new look, with styling inspired by the HabaNiro Concept. Also, inside the cabin, the affordable and efficient SUV is more refined, modern, and technologically sophisticated.
Additionally, it’s larger than the outgoing model, with an increase in length and wheelbase. As a result, there’s more cabin space. The Niro provides seating for five people, with a total passenger volume of 102 cu-ft. Also, the biggest difference in space is for the cargo area. It provides a maximum storage capacity of 63.7 cu-ft, compared to 63.2 cu-ft for the outgoing model.
The 2023 Kia Niro has a pleasing blend of affordability and efficiency. It’s the cheapest new hybrid SUV — and also the SUV with the best gas mileage — getting a fuel-sipping 53 combined mpg.