The Kia Niro is a compact hybrid or electric SUV model produced and sold by Kia Motors. An unrated gem of the company’s catalog, the Niro is available as a standard hybrid, plug-in hybrid (PHEV), and EV model. In addition to an upcoming and flashy redesign for its 2023 model year, the Kia Niro offers an affordable, practical, and no-nonsense entry point for drivers looking for more fuel-efficient and environmentally-friendly vehicles.
The original Kia Niro was introduced as a concept model at the 2013 Frankfurt Auto Show and premiered with much sharper aesthetics, including butterfly doors. While the production model lacked its flair, the Niro has still been a consumer success. When the Kia Niro was first released in 2016, it was the best-selling green car in South Korea and even won a Guinness World Records title for its fuel efficiency. The company saw continued success with the Niro Plug-In Hybrid and Niro EV models in 2018. Its main competitors include the Honda Insight, the Hyundai Kona, the Hyundai Ioniq, the Toyota Prius, and the Volkswagen ID.4.
- 2022 Kia Niro (Starting MSRP: $24,690)
- 2022 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid (Starting MSRP: $29,590)
- 2022 Kia Niro EV (Starting MSRP: $39,990)
- Pros: The Kia Niro and Niro Plug-In Hybrid offer stellar fuel economy ratings, while all three models provide generous standard features, affordable price tags, and practical applications.
- Cons: The Niro and Niro Plug-In Hybrid offer sluggish acceleration, the Niro EV has less range than most competitors, and all three models come with a rather bland interior.
- See Also: EV6 and Sorento
- How efficient is the Kia Niro?
- How does the Kia Niro perform?
- How spacious is the Kia Niro?
- Kia Niro vs. Toyota Prius
2022 Kia Niro EV Almost Exactly the Same but With a New Kia Logo
Avoiding the 2021 Kia Niro and Settling for the 2021 Toyota Prius Would Be a Mistake
You Shouldn’t Ignore the ‘Sleeper’ Kia Niro EV Despite Its Loss to the Ford Mustang Mach-E
The Kia Niro Is a Tiny Hero Among Hybrid SUVs
The 2021 Kia Niro EV Is Giving You More at No Added Cost