Cheapest New Hybrid Is a Truck With the Best Gas Mileage — Selling Like Gangbusters!
When one thinks of a hybrid with high fuel economy, a small sedan or hatchback might come to mind. However, they come in different forms, including pickup truck versions. And the cheapest new hybrid available is a truck: the 2023 Ford Maverick, which is selling like gangbusters. Also, the Maverick is the truck with the best gas mileage.
2023 Ford Maverick is the cheapest new hybrid car
With a starting price of $22,195 MSRP, the 2023 Ford Maverick is the cheapest new hybrid car. The next most affordable new hybrid vehicles are the 2023 Toyota Corolla Hybrid compact sedan ($22,800 MSRP) and the 2022 Hyundai IONIQ Hybrid compact hatchback ($23,600 MSRP).
Here are the cheapest new hybrid cars:
- 2023 Ford Maverick: $22,195 MSRP
- 2023 Toyota Corolla Hybrid: $22,800 MSRP
- 2022 Hyundai IONIQ Hybrid: $23,600 MSRP (Discontinued soon)
- 2023 Hyundai Elantra Hybrid: $24,550 MSRP
- 2022 Honda Insight: $25,760 MSRP (Discontinued soon)
- 2023 Kia Niro Hybrid: $26,590 MSRP
- 2022 Hyundai IONIQ Plug-In Hybrid: $26,800 MSRP (Discontinued soon)
- 2023 Toyota Prius: $27,450 MSRP
- 2023 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid: $28,250 MSRP
- 2023 Toyota Camry Hybrid: $28,355 MSRP
Pickup trucks tend to be more expensive than other model types, so the Maverick topping this list of most affordable new hybrid vehicles is especially surprising. Also, the compact pickup truck is the most affordable new vehicle from an American car brand.
Ford Maverick is the pickup truck with the best fuel economy
Not only is the 2023 Ford Maverick the cheapest new hybrid car, but it’s also the pickup truck with the best gas mileage. Trucks are often gas-guzzlers. However, the Maverick defies this trend. It gets a gas-sipping estimated fuel economy of up to 42 city/33 highway mpg.
Here are the pickup trucks with the best gas mileage:
- 2023 Ford Maverick: 42 city/33 highway mpg
- 2023 GMC Sierra 1500: 24 city/29 highway mpg
- 2023 Chevy Silverado 1500: 24 city/29 highway mpg
- 2023 Jeep Gladiator: 22 city/28 highway mpg
- 2023 Ford F-150: 25 city/25 highway mpg
- 2023 Hyundai Santa Cruz: 22 city/26 highway mpg
- 2023 Ford Ranger: 21 city/26 highway mpg
- 2023 Toyota Tundra: 20 city/24 highway mpg
- 2023 Toyota Tacoma: 20 city/23 highway mpg
- 2023 Honda Ridgeline: 18 city/24 highway mpg
Please note: This list of pickups with the highest gas mileage doesn’t include all-electric trucks, which, of course, don’t use gasoline.
2023 Maverick is selling so well that Ford ended retail orders
The Ford Maverick is a relatively new vehicle, with it debuting for the 2022 model year. Until recently, small pickup trucks haven’t been popular in America, so expectations for the Maverick were relatively low. The only other small truck available in the U.S. is the Hyundai Santa Cruz.
However, the Maverick proved the doubters wrong. In its first year of production, the sales were very high — and for the 2023 model year, the demand for the compact truck is even greater. It’s selling so well that Ford stopped offering online retail orders. As a result, if you want a new one, you’ll have to go the dealership route.
However, once you can get your hands on the 2023 Ford Maverick, your patience will likely be rewarded. It’s the cheapest new hybrid car — and the pickup truck with the best gas mileage.