Boasting butterfly doors and a sleek design, the futuristic i8 debuted in 2014. It accelerated from 0 to 60 mph in 3.6 seconds, proving that a high-performance car could be eco-friendly. It also won numerous awards, including the North American Concept Vehicle of the Year in 2012, Best Production Preview Vehicle in 2013, and World Green Car of the Year at the 2015 Fame India Eco Drive.
However, the car wasn’t a huge hit with consumers, selling about 20,000 units worldwide, 6,000 of which sold in the United States. The model also rapidly depreciated.
- 2020 BMW i8 (Starting MSRP $148,495)
- Pros: The i8 was reasonably priced for a supercar, looked futuristic, and boasted good fuel economy, nimble handling, and quick acceleration.
- Cons: The i8 had poor electric-only range, inadequate cargo space, and a 1.5-liter three-cylinder engine from the Mini Cooper, which turned off buyers.
- See Also: i4
- How fast is the BMW i8 hybrid supercar?
- How much does a used BMW i8 cost?
- The BMW i8 is a surprisingly good daily driver
- Did BMW replace the i8?
Visit the BMW USA website.