“Are we there yet?” This is one question every adult driving with a child dreads but should be ready to hear ad nauseam. Long car trips and kids seldom go well together. In the best-case scenario, they sleep through the entire journey, but we all know this is highly unlikely.
Road trips may seem even longer when kids start getting restless. And while there is not much you can do to get there any faster, with a bit of imagination and preparation, time will seem to fly by, and you will get to your destination before you know it. While shoving a tablet into your little one’s hands may seem like the go-to solution, it can only work for so long. Here are four easy and healthy ways to keep kids entertained on long road trips.
1. Use technology to keep kids entertained on long road trips
Long road trips are a nightmare for children and equally frustrating for parents. Luckily for you, with the help of technology and the numerous ways of interacting with a smartphone or tablet, you can enjoy a smooth ride and avoid tantrums along the journey. The following are examples of kid-friendly tech hacks to keep your kids entertained as you travel:
- Tablets and smartphones – Handheld devices offer an individualized means of entertainment for your kids, allowing them to select their shows and play games with other kids online.
- Handheld gaming gadgets – These offer personalized and portable sources of entertainment. Currently, there are unlimited games your kids can enjoy online, from storytelling simulations to educational puzzles.
- Car TV screen – Car TVs are a great way to control the entertainment you choose for your kids, keeping them engaged for the better part of the journey.
2. Stretch and run during breaks
You should schedule some fun if you have to drive for long stretches with kids. Do not skip the pit stops. As KAYAK highlights, you are passing through a small town, and the kids notice a neighborhood park, make a quick stop so that they can stretch and play. At a minimum, you should stop every two to three hours so that everyone can stretch and take in some fresh air. It also helps to let the little ones run around for a while, especially the youngest.
3. Create your own games
According to Bon Voyage with Kids, one way to make your journey shorter and more memorable is to come up with fun games to play along the way. For example, a treasure hunt is always a kid’s favorite. You can put together a list of everything you are likely to see on your way and create an activity sheet. The level of difficulty will depend on the ages of the kids.
Also, many games can be played by simply taking a closer look at your surroundings, such as The License Plate Game and I Spy. When you get tired of these, you can elevate the mood with some car karaoke. Better still, play Karaoke Masters!
4. Pack a kit special to each child to keep your kids entertained on long road trips
Customizing your kids’ road trip kit depending on their age and interests is essential. The basic road trip kit will include the following:
- Electronics and headphones
- Coloring books and crayons
- Blanket and pillow
Depending on your kids’ preferences, you can add more items to the list. However, knowing what to carry is only half of the battle. Learning how to organize the items is another challenge. You can invest in hanging backseat organizers and gear organizers to make your work easier. You can also search online for clever ways to organize snacks and crayons.