Skip to main content

If you remember the highest volume of reports detailing IED strikes in Iraq and Afghanistan, you likely remember mention of the MRAP. These vehicles incorporated a V-shaped hull to redirect energy from blasts and increase occupant survivability. So, can you buy one of these military vehicles after its service life?

You can buy and drive an MRAP, but it might not be the most practical choice

Yes, you can purchase a surplus MRAP after the vehicle is finished with its military service. If you feel inclined, you can log on to a surplus sales and auction site and acquire an MRAP. It’s not just MRAPs, either. Vehicle shoppers peruse everything from decommissioned USPS mail trucks to High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicles (HMMWVs) or Humvees. 

The MRAP, or “mine-resistant ambush protected” series of trucks is part of the V-hull family of armored military vehicles. The trucks became part an increasing part of the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) arsenal in 2007 to counter the increased threat of improvised explosive devices (IEDs) in Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF). Since the vehicle started replacing Humvees and other vehicles in American convoys, the U.S. Army, Marines, and other branches fielded tens of thousands of MRAPs to better protect servicemembers from IEDs. 

An MRAP with a mine roller in Afghanistan.
A MAXPRO MRAP with a mine roller | Aka4Ajax via iStock

Not only can you purchase a surplus MRAP, but you can buy civilian sector versions of the rigs. Former Top Gear host Richard Hammond pancaking cars and obstacles on the streets of Johannesburg, South Africa, comes to mind. However, while Hammond’s cruise in the bright-red Marauder was all smiles and entertainment, you can buy a Paramount Marauder and its V-hull to scratch your mine-resistant vehicle itch.

However, buying an MRAP or a similar armored vehicle isn’t practical or cheap. For starters, a six-wheeled chassis with the powertrain intact could cost more than $20,000, like this one on GovPlanet without an armored cabin and passenger compartment. A running, driving model will almost certainly demand six figures. 

What’s more, the MRAPs we drove in the Marine Corps were too large and underpowered to be practical runabouts on American streets. In fact, the hills that M-ATVs and Humvees made short work of proved problematic for one of our 6×6 rigs. Finally, any decommissioned model you bid for will likely require documentation and conversion to make it road-legal.