Electric scooters have risen in popularity over the last year — thanks to the pandemic – and many of them are popping up in the used market. Of course, you could always buy a new electric scooter, however, many of them cost a lot. But is it really worth it to buy a used one?
There are some advantages to buying an electric scooter
Just like buying a second-hand car, there are a few advantages to buying a second-hand electric scooter. E-Scooters detailed some of the main benefits of buying a used electric scooter, so let’s cut to the chase:
- Better pricing: A new electric scooter can cost you anywhere between $200 to well over $1,000. But if you buy a used one, then you can own a premium brand scooter for a fraction of its original cost. That way, you won’t have to make such a huge initial investment in case you don’t like the scooter.
- Carbon footprint: Given their non-polluting nature, electric scooters are better for the environment. However, E-Scooters notes that many scooter manufacturers are located abroad, which means there’s a huge carbon footprint left when they ship it to you. By buying a scooter from a private seller, you will lessen that carbon footprint in addition to saving that scooter from ending up in a landfill.
- Test drive: By buying a used electric scooter from a private local seller, you’ll be able to test it out first and make sure that it’s in proper working order and that it works for you.
Here are some disadvantages for buying a used electric scooter
Of course, for every positive advantage of buying an electric scooter, there are disadvantages as well. Here are some of the most obvious disadvantages when buying a used electric scooter:
- Unreputable sellers: When purchasing a new electric scooter, it’s easy to research the seller and the product to make sure you’re getting the best service. But when you buy a used one, you could be buying it from an unreputable seller that could sell you a bunk product. It might be a rare occurrence, but it does happen.
- No returns allowed: If you do buy a used electric scooter, then it’s more than possible that you won’t be able to return it if you don’t like it.
- Used scooters can be worn out: Just like anything else that you can buy used, an electric scooter has probably seen its share of battle scars from the previous owner. Of course, you can always hope for the best, but be prepared to make some repairs to your new-to-you electric scooter.
- Battery replacement: The battery on an electric scooter will wear out over time. So if you buy a used one, you’ll need to take into account that it might cost you money to replace the battery.
- Limited buying options: If you have always wanted that Razor electric scooter, but couldn’t afford it, then you might have to wait a while before a used one pops up for sale. This goes to show that you really only have limited options when it comes to buying a used electric scooter.
Is it worth it to buy a used electric scooter?
Yes and no. Both Electric Scootering and E-Scooters report that buying a used electric scooter is not a good idea considering the fact that you don’t know who you’re buying from and what the scooter might need. Unlike a used car, you can really tell how hard the last owner rode the scooter, or even how many owners it’s had.
Also, replacement batteries are expensive. So if the scooter is older than you think, you could be stuck with the bill. However, if you know the scooter’s history, and maybe even the seller, then it could be a good idea to buy a used one based on the cost savings alone.