Skip to main content

OK, it’s about time to change your Honda Accord’s oil. No problem. Here’s a little about what you should know when it comes to changing your Accord’s oil. For instance, you’ll need to know how often you should change your sedan’s oil, what oil type to use, and how to reset your Honda Accord’s oil life light. 

How many miles can a Honda Accord go between oil changes?

Getting an oil change every 3,000 to 5,000 miles is typically good practice. However, modern engines running on full synthetic motor oils might push that number much higher. For instance, Honda recommends changing your late model Accord’s oil every 7,500 to 10,000 miles. 

A 2021 Honda Accord like this red one requires regular oil changes with the right oil type.
2021 Honda Accord | Honda

Furthermore, AAA says many manufacturers match Honda’s oil change frequency recommendations of 7,500 to 10,000 miles. Additionally, some full-synthetic applications might require an oil change as infrequently as once every 15,000 miles. Still, frequent preventative maintenance is an excellent way to ensure your engine’s high-heat and high-friction parts are well-lubricated. 

What type of oil should I use for my Honda Accord?

If your Honda Accord is a 2011 or newer model year, consider using 0W-20 motor oil. However, if your Accord is older than 2011, you can use 5W-20 synthetic oil. These recommendations are based on Honda’s directions as the manufacturer. 

Model years and engine types will dictate what kind of oil you use during your oil change. For instance, VehicleWisdom says that Honda recommends an SAE 0W-20 full synthetic oil for a 2016 model year. Moreover, the 2016 model year with a 2.4L four-cylinder engine has a 4.4-quart capacity, while the V6-powered models take up to 4.5 quarts.

As for the newest Honda Accords, the 2022 models take up to 5.0 quarts of 0W-20 synthetic oil. However, older Accords, like mid-1990s models, might suffice with up to 4.5 quarts of 5W-30 or 10W-30.   

How do you reset the oil life on a 2016 Honda Accord?

Each Honda Accord model has a different oil life reset practice following an oil change. For instance, the 2016 Honda Accord has a menu that owners access with steering wheel buttons. Owners will locate “Maintenance Reset” and toggle until they find an oil life option. Then operators will press and hold “Enter” until they clear the reminder. 

This dark 2016 Honda Accord shows off its LED running lights and requires a specific oil type for oil changes and an easy process for Honda oil life reset.
2016 Honda Accord | Matt West, MediaNews Group, Boston Herald via Getty Images

Older models might require a different button combination, but it’s typically easiest to check out an online resource to find the process for your specific model. 

What does it mean when Honda Accord says 15% oil life?

Some Honda Accord models will let drivers know how much oil “life” they have left before their next oil change. For instance, if your Accord says it has 15% oil life remaining, that means it has used up 85% of the oil’s intended use period, and new oil is the best course of action. 

Do you need a special tool to change the oil filter?

When it comes to changing your own oil, most vehicles have a straightforward application. A cylindrical oil filter will be accessible beneath the engine of the car, and an oil filter wrench will remove it. 

Moreover, some oil filters have bolt tops that owners can remove with a socket or wrench.


Drive Friendly: 4 Tips for Saving Money on Gas