Forget the 2021 Kia K5, You Need the 2021 Toyota Camry in Your Life

New for 2021 and here to replace the Kia Optima, the 2021 K5 is a strong competitor among the midsize sedan segment. But does this all-new sedan have what it takes to push the 2021 Toyota Camry out of the spotlight? We think not.

2021 Toyota Camry parked on the top level of a parking garage
2021 Toyota Camry | Toyota

The 2021 Toyota Camry is available as a hybrid

Both of these sedans are available with your pick of engine under the hood. Choose the 2021 Toyota Camry, and pick from a 2.5-liter engine or a 3.5-liter V6. Go for the 2021 Kia K5, and you’ll find yourself having to choose between a turbocharged 1.6-liter engine and a turbocharged 2.5-liter engine. 

But those aren’t the only engine options available when it comes to the 2021 Toyota Camry. This year’s model can also be had with a fuel-sipping hybrid powertrain. Unfortunately for Kia shoppers, the automaker has yet to release a hybrid variant of the all-new K5.

RELATED: The 2021 Toyota Camry Has Something for Everyone

The Toyota Camry has a reputation for being reliable

The Toyota Camry has been around the block a few times. That’s a good thing, though. Because over the years, this sedan has proven itself to be pretty reliable. According to Consumer Reports’ data, most model years earned a five out of five overall reliability rating. That story is no different for 2021. Like previous model years, Consumer Reports gave the 2021 Toyota Camry a five out of five predicted reliability rating.

As for the 2021 Kia K5? Its score isn’t quite as impressive as the Toyota Camry’s. While the Camry snagged a perfect score, the Kia K5 only managed a three out of five predicted reliability rating from Consumer Reports. That’s certainly not the lowest rating it could have gotten, but it’s definitely not the best either.

RELATED: The 2020 Toyota Camry Hybrid Is the Best Toyota, According to U.S. News

For slightly higher resale value, choose the 2021 Toyota Camry

The Toyota Camry is known for its high resale value as well. According to CarEdge, you can expect the 2021 Toyota Camry to 49% after five years, giving it a five-year resale value of $14,236. The Kia K5, on the other hand, will depreciate approximately 51% after five years and will have a five-year resale value of $14,105. 

Now, those numbers are obviously pretty close. But, in the end, it’s the 2021 Toyota Camry that comes out on top, even if it’s by a small margin. So, if you plan on selling your new car sometime down the road, you’re going to want to stick with the Toyota Camry.

This year’s model comes standard with complimentary maintenance

Sure, the Toyota Camry is known for its resale value. But to really ensure that it holds on to its value, you’re going to want to take good care of it. That means keeping up on regularly scheduled maintenance, things like oil changes and tire rotations. Fortunately, Toyota makes doing so pretty easy. Every new Toyota Camry comes standard with ToyotaCare, a complimentary maintenance plan covering normal factory scheduled service for two years or 25,000 miles.

Unfortunately for Kia shoppers, the K5 doesn’t come standard with complimentary maintenance. It does, however, come standard with a pretty comprehensive 10-year/100,000-mile limited powertrain warranty.

RELATED: ToyotaCare Makes Buying a New Toyota Worth The Spend

But is this sedan the right fit for your daily driving needs?

There’s no denying that the 2021 Toyota Camry is a great car. Between its high resale value and thrifty hybrid powertrain, this sedan has plenty going for it. But does that mean it’s the right fit for you? Not necessarily. If you find yourself stuck choosing between these two sedans, we recommend taking each out for a test drive before making your final decision.