3 Reasons Why the 2023 Lexus NX 450h+ Is the Best Luxury Plug-in Hybrid
Every year, U.S. News selects the best hybrid and electric vehicles. As automakers continue to expand their EV product lineup, there are plenty of appealing options, with each model offering unique features and capabilities. For 2023, in the luxury plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) category, the Lexus NX 450h+ was awarded the No. 1 spot. Here are three reasons the prestigious plug-in hybrid is considered one of the best options on the market today and worthy of the award.
The 2023 winners for best hybrid and electric vehicles
According to U.S. News, “Over the past decade, there has been a sharp increase in electric and hybrid vehicle production, with many brands expanding their lineups in order to keep up with consumer demand for more fuel-efficient vehicles.” This substantial growth has led to better quality and a wider variety of sustainable driving options.
To determine the best options for 2023, U.S. News extensively researched existing data on a broad range of segments and brands to determine the electric vehicles with the “best blend of efficiency and cost.” The winners that exhibited the best combination of quality, value, and efficiency include:
- Best Electric Vehicle: 2023 Kia EV6
- Best Electric Truck: 2023 Ford F-150 Lightning
- Best Luxury Electric SUV: 2023 Cadillac Lyriq
- Best Luxury Electric Car: 2023 Lucid Air Grand Touring
- Best Hybrid SUV: 2023 Kia Niro
- Best Hybrid Car: 2023 Toyota Prius
- Best Luxury Hybrid: 2023 Lexus ES Hybrid
- Best Plug-In Hybrid: 2023 Hyundai Tucson Plug-In Hybrid
- Best Luxury Plug-In Hybrid: 2023 Lexus NX 450+ Plug-In Hybrid
What makes the 2023 Lexus NX 450h+ the best luxury plug-in hybrid?
As the winner of the best luxury plug-in hybrid category, the 2023 Lexus NX 450h+ stands out from the competition for the following reasons:
1. Fuel Efficiency: The EPA-estimated combined driving range is 36 mpg, which is considerably longer than other vehicles in the segment, making it the best-in-class option for fuel efficiency. The Lexus NX 450h+ also has a higher electric range than most competitors, capable of getting up to 37 miles on the battery alone.
2. Luxurious Amenities: As the top-trim of the Lexus NX, the 450h+ offers a customizable 12.3-inch digital instrument display and an impressive 14-inch touchscreen infotainment system. The Lexus interface offers enhanced noise-cancellation technology, wireless connectivity, and cloud-based navigation. The driver’s seat provides class-leading comfort, and passengers can enjoy the luxurious amenities, including 64 colors of ambient mood lighting, a panoramic moonroof, electric door actuators, and ample storage space for storing personal belongings.
Although the 2023 Lexus NX 450h+ has space concerns, it still offers a luxurious passenger experience for cabin passengers.
3. Competitive Pricing: With a base price of $58,655, the Lexus is competitively priced compared to other luxury PHEVs. Luxury models such as the high-performance BMW X3 M have a starting price of $72,900, and a fully loaded Audi Q5 can exceed $70,000. Even the Genesis GV70 with advanced features has a higher price than the Lexus NX 450h+, coming in at around $65,000 for a premium 3.5T Sport model.
What’s new for the 2024 Lexus NX 450h+?
A recent Lexus press release announced, “The 2024 NX is largely a carryover model from 2023.”
The 2024 Lexus NX 450h+ will get several minor upgrades and a few new interior color options with color-keyed elements to the door panels, passenger side center console, and glove box. There are 14 nature-inspired themes for the interior, including sunset, water, and rainforest, to “express a full range of emotions and evoke a feeling of comfort.” Black open-pore wood trim will add an “opulent touch” to the luxury PHEV.
The MSRP for the 2024 Lexus NX 450h+ remains at $58,655, climbing to $59,905 for the F Sport trim level. The class-leading plug-in hybrid is the most powerful and fastest NX model, capable of generating 304 hp and hitting 0 to 60 mph in only 6.0 seconds. While it may be a similar model, the minor upgrades might make it worth it to go for this year’s best luxury plug-in hybrid.