When one typically thinks about the cost of car ownership, things like monthly payments, maintenance, repairs, and fuel come to mind. However, another thing that can raise the cost of car ownership is insurance. If you’re looking to pay as little as possible for car insurance, then check out the cheapest cars to insure. A budget-friendly bare-bones minivan takes the top spot.
What is the cheapest car to insure?
Insure.com compiled a list of the cheapest and most expensive cars to insure. For the list, the site compared the car insurance rates for over 3,000 different car models in every state in the U.S. To ensure accuracy, Insure.com utilized quotes from six different insurance companies and then averaged the premiums.
The 10 cheapest cars to insure in 2021 are:
- Chrysler Voyager L | Average rate: $1,272
- Honda CR-V LX | Average rate: $1,285
- Mazda CX-3 Sport | Average rate: $1,294
- Fiat 500X Trekking | Average rate: $1,301
- Honda HR-V LX | Average rate: $1,322
- Jeep Compass Sport | Average rate: $1,324
- Mazda CX-5 Sport | Average rate: $1,328
- Subaru Outback 2.5i | Average rate: $1,330
- Subaru Forester 2.5i | Average rate: $1,333
- Jeep Wrangler JL Sport | Average rate: $1,339
Chrysler Voyager: Least expensive car to insure in 2021
The Chrysler Voyager minivan earned the top spot as the cheapest car to insure in 2021, with an average rate of $1,272. It’s a remarkable feat, considering that Chrysler resurrected the Voyager after discontinuing it in 2003. The Voyager is essentially a lower-cost, bare-bones, stripped-down version of the Chrysler Pacifica.
Minivans like the Voyager are often the least expensive vehicles to insure. In previous years, the Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, and Chrysler Town & Country minivans claimed the top spot. Minivans typically have low insurance costs because of their high number of safety features. Also, minivans are often driven carefully by parents as they transport their children, further lowering the cost of insurance.
The rest of the cheapest cars to insure list is dominated by crossovers and SUVs. There are no sedans, coupes, or trucks on the list. The second least expensive car to insure is the Honda CR-V LX, followed by the Mazda CX-3 Sport, Fiat 500X Trekking, and Honda HR-V LX. This list is rounded out by the Jeep Compass Sport, Mazda CX-5 Sport, Subaru Outback 2.5i, Subaru Outback 2.5i, and Jeep Wrangler JL Sport.
What is the most expensive car to insure?
Unsurprising, expensive high-performance cars have the highest car insurance rates. The 10 most expensive cars to insure in 2021 are:
- Maserati Quattroporte S GranSport | Average rate: $4,823
- Maserati Ghibli S Q4 GranSport | Average rate: $4,208
- Tesla Model S Performance (Plaid) | Average rate: $4,143
- Tesla Model X Performance (Plaid) | Average rate: $4,025
- BMW M760i xDrive | Average rate: $3,914
- BMW M8 XDrive | Average rate: $3,907
- Audi R8 5.2L V10 Spyder Quattro | Average rate: $3,863
- Nissan GT-R Nismo | Average rate: $3,829
- Maserati Levante GTS | Average rate: $3,803
- BMW M5 Competition Xdrive | Average rate: $3,777
All of these luxury cars are a far cry from a minivan like the Chrysler Voyager. The Maserati Quattroporte S GranSport is the most expensive car to insure in 2021, with an average rate of $4,823. Maserati also has the second spot on the list with the Ghibli S Q4 GranSport. The Maserati Levante GTS also made the top 10. BMW is the other automaker with three vehicles in the top 10, with the M760i xDrive, M8 XDrive, and M5 Competition Xdrive. Also, Tesla has two models on the list, with the Model S Performance (Plaid) and Model X Performance (Plaid).
RELATED: Can a New Car Smell Make You Sick?