Is Affordable Luxury Fun a Real Thing? It Is if You Drive the 2022 Acura RDX Luxury SUV
If you look in your garage or at your driveway and see the 2022 Acura RDX, you’re not going to be upset at all. While this luxury SUV isn’t the vehicle of your dreams, it’s an affordable crossover that brings upscale design, driving dynamics, and qualities to the mix. In shorter terms, this SUV is fun to drive. You might not think you can have a good time at a price that easily fits into your budget, but the RDX is here to prove you wrong.
What makes the 2022 Acura RDX fun to drive?
Whether you want a peppy engine with plenty of power, a dynamic suspension, or the latest tech, the RDX gives it to you. According to the Torque Report, this Acura is a sporty compact luxury SUV that holds its own against the likes of the German rivals. It might not have the cache of a Porsche, but it offers an impressive drive and the qualities you desire. The interior could be a bit more luxurious, but it’s comfortable and pleasant when you drive. A sportier Type S model could take this Acura beyond what some rival luxury sporty SUVs bring to the market.
What’s new for the RDX luxury SUV?
The 2022 version of this Acura SUV gives you some new items, including:
- Styling updates to the front and rear
- Improved sound insulation
- More safety equipment
- Additional features in the Technology and Advance packages
- A-Spec treatments for the Advance package
- More exterior colors than before
Impressive driving dynamics from Acura
According to Kelley Blue Book, the Acura RDX is more engaging to drive than similar models from Lexus. The experience behind the wheel does not come at the expense of comfort. That is a serious positive for the RDX. This means you’ll have the comfort you want and the engaging diving that you desire in an affordable luxury SUV; what more could you ask for in your vehicle?
Plenty of room in the cabin of the Acura RDX
The more you could ask from your luxury SUV is a comfortable cabin. The RDX delivers with a spacious area meant for up to five people. Your rear passengers get to enjoy 38 inches of legroom, which is among the best in the class. The cargo area measures 29.5 cubic feet behind the rear seats and 58.8 cubic feet when you fold those seats down. Not only is the cabin spacious and roomy, but you’ll love the quiet feeling offered when you select the Advanced package, which includes more sound-deadening materials than before.
What does the Acura RDX luxury SUV include?
Three trim levels and two options packages make up the list of features you’ll find for the RDX. The trims are base, A-Spec, and PMC, with the options packages of Advance and Technology. Here’s what each offers:
- LED headlights, taillights, daytime running lights
- Keyless entry/ignition
- Powered tailgate
- Power tilt/slide panoramic roof
- Dual-zone automatic climate controls
- Heated/12-way power-adjustable front seats
- Simulated leather upholstery
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Self-dimming rearview mirror
- 10.2-inch infotainment screen
- Wireless Apple CarPlay/Android Auto
- Amazon Alexa
- Natural voice recognition
- USB-A/USB-C charging ports
- Wi-Fi hotspot
- Forward-collision warning
- Automatic emergency braking
- Pedestrian detection
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alerts
- Adaptive cruise control
- Wireless device charging
- LED ambient cabin lighting
- Rear camera washer
- Front/rear parking sensors
- GPS-linked climate controls
- Sport front seats
- Leather upholstery
- Navigation with real-time traffic
- 12-speaker ELS audio system
- Cosmetic upgrades
- Flat-bottom steering wheel
- Leather/simulated suede upholstery
- Heated/ventilated front seats
- 16-speaker ELS audio system
- Power-folding side mirrors
- Remote engine start
- 12-volt outlet in the cargo area
- Adaptive suspension
- 360-degree camera system
- Head-up display
- Rain-sensing wipers with de-icer
- Puddle lamps
- Remote start
- 16-way power front seats
- Heated steering wheel
- Heated rear outboard seats
- Hands-free tailgate
- Combines the A-Spec and Advance Package into one trim
- Exclusive color
What powers the Acura RDX?
Under the hood of this luxury SUV, you’ll find a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine mated to a ten-speed automatic transmission. This setup gives you 272 horsepower and 280 lb.-ft. of torque. You’ll need premium gasoline to keep this engine running smoothly, but you will enjoy 22 city/28 hwy mpg in FWD models and 21 city/27 hwy mpg for AWD versions.
How much does the RDX Luxury SUV cost?
We said this SUV is affordable, and we meant it. The starting price is $39,300 for the base version, with AWD adding $2,200 to that cost. The PMC version costs $53,300, with other models falling between these two numbers. By comparison, the Lexus NX starts a little lower at $38,000, but the Genesis GV70 requires you to spend $41,000 to get started.