2024 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Shoppers Like 1 Trim More Than the Rest
If the popular GMC Sierra 1500 full-size pickup truck doesn’t provide enough payload or towing capacity to fit your needs, consider stepping up to the heavy-duty 2500 version. The 2024 GMC Sierra 2500 HD offers several trim levels, drivetrains, and engine options, each with more work capacity than any half-ton-rated full-size pickup truck. While picking the right heavy-duty pickup truck for your needs requires careful research, one trim is currently favored most by consumers.
2024 GMC Sierra 2500 HD trim levels, pricing, and features
Using GMC‘s online build and price tool to look at 2024 GMC Sierra 2500 HD trim options, the first decision involves the truck cab and bed configuration. Cab options include:
- The two-door regular cab with seating for three
- The four-door double cab with two rows of seating for six total
- The larger, four-door crew cab, which also seats six people in two rows
While not every trim comes in all configurations, the combinations include:
- Regular cab, long bed (98.27-inch bed length) – $47,395
- Double cab, standard bed (82.25-inch bed length) – $49,295
- Double cab, long bed – $49,495
- Crew cab, standard bed – $51,095
- Crew cab, long bed – $51,295
The crew cab standard bed configuration provides the most trim options (seven) and the following drivetrain and powertrain options:
- Pro – 2WD or 4WD (add $2,800 for 4WD)
- 6.6-liter V8 gas – MSRP $51,095
- 6.6-liter V8 turbo-diesel – MSRP $60,860
- 6.6-liter V8 turbo-diesel with integrated PTO – MSRP $62,080
- SLE – 2WD or 4WD (add $2,800 for 4WD)
- 6.6-liter V8 gas – MSRP $56,095
- 6.6-liter V8 turbo-diesel – MSRP $65,585
- 6.6-liter V8 turbo-diesel with integrated PTO – MSRP $66,580
- SLT – 2WD or 4WD (add $2,800 for 4WD)
- 6.6-liter V8 gas – MSRP $63,495
- 6.6-liter V8 turbo-diesel – MSRP $72,985
- AT4 – 4WD only
- 6.6-liter V8 gas – MSRP $72.095
- 6.6-liter V8 turbo-diesel – MSRP $81,585
- Denali – 4WD only
- 6.6-liter V8 gas – MSRP $76,195
- 6.6-liter V8 turbo-diesel – MSRP $85,685
- AT4X – 4WD only
- 6.6-liter V8 gas – MSRP $84,795
- 6.6-liter V8 turbo-diesel – MSRP $94,285
- Denali Ultimate – 4WD only
- 6.6-liter V8 turbo-diesel – MSRP $94,895
Which 2024 2500 HD trim do shoppers prefer?
Edmunds reports the 4WD-only AT4 as the most popular 2024 GMC Sierra 2500 HD trim among shoppers and consumers. While your powertrain choice depends mainly on your requirements, both engine options provide sufficient power for their intended duties.
The base 6.6-liter gas V8 engine provides 401 horsepower and 464 lb-ft of torque. For even more pulling power, consider upgrading to the optional 6.6-liter Duramax turbo-diesel with 470 hp and 975 lb-ft of torque. For the 2024 model year, both powertrains get the 10-speed Allison automatic transmission.
GMC says the Sierra HD lineup received a refresh for 2024 that includes the following highlights:
- A revised front fascia, including the bumper, grille, and trim finishes
- Animated approach, starting, and turn signal lighting
- Newly designed wheels for SLE, AT4, and Denali trims
- Premium interior materials and designs for AT4 and Denali trims
The 2024 GMC Sierra 2500 HD AT4 trim’s popularity likely stems from its placement in the middle of the lineup, a step above the SLT and just below the Denali. Its off-road-focused suspension, standard 4WD, skid plates, upgraded interior with a 13.4-inch premium infotainment system with built-in Google, and unique rugged front fascia make it a stand-out choice.
Do the critics agree with the public on the most popular 2024 GMC Sierra 2500 HD trim?
Autotrader prefers the SLE trim with the additional Convenience and Preferred packages. In contrast, Car and Driver opted for the SLT trim with 4WD, the diesel powertrain, and the optional Convenience and Driver Alert packages. Finally, Kelley Blue Book likes the Denali trim’s luxury but also appreciates the AT4 trim’s off-road capability.
Deciding which trim fits you best depends on your needs and budget. While the AT4 trim balances cost, luxury, and capability, any 2024 GMC Sierra 2500 HD trim, from the Pro to the Denali Ultimate, will get the job done in varying degrees of style.