Some Used Chevrolet Tahoe Years Have Many Common Complaints
Chevrolet has sold over 100,000 Tahoe models annually for the last few years. You should know some common NHTSA complaints when shopping for a used Tahoe. As always, seek a certified mechanic’s inspection before buying, and be sure to run the VIN through a recall checker.
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe has over 1K complaints
While not as many are on the road today due to age, the 2007 Tahoe has racked up a good number of NHTSA complaints. Common filings include:
- Cracking dashboards
- Airbag warning lights, problems with airbags (applicable recalls present)
- Electrical issues, like losing all power when driving
- Burning oil between maintenance services
The 2015 Chevy Tahoe has hundreds of logged complaints
The 2015 model year has 16 recalls and more than 500 logged complaints. Many of the complaints have associated recalls, but some do not.
- Brake system failures: loss of pedal pressure, a software issue causing random braking, loose brake pedal. “Service trailer brake system” messages.
- Intermittent electrical system issues: Sudden loss of power paired with warning lights indicating accessory functions are unavailable.
2011 Tahoes have the same complaint
By far, the most common complaint for the 2011 model year is the dashboard cracking. This and related dash issues, like loose or vibrating components, are often reported after the dealer performs the Takata airbag recall.
The 2021 Chevrolet Tahoe has more complaints than the 2017 year model
The 2021 Tahoe has 13 recalls to date. Common issues include:
- Fuel system failure: This issue typically stems from the fuel pump power control module. The vehicle will suddenly shut off. This issue is covered under recall; however, multiple owners have filed that they were told their VIN was not a part of the recall and that they would have to pay out of pocket for repairs.
- Sunroof glass shattering: I found at least four complaints of the roof glass exploding. Three of them stated that they were driving when it happened without cause.
The model years with the fewest complaints in order of amount filed are the 2020, 2019, 2022, 2018, and 2014 Chevrolet Tahoes.