- The Land Rover SUV is pricier
- Mercedes-Benz takes luxury to a new level
- These two SUVs are dripping with sophistication and elegance
The range of luxury SUVs is extraordinary, from the smallest models that barely scratch the luxury surface to the super-posh, ultra-elegant models we’re reviewing today. The Land Rover Range Rover SV Autobiography signifies the top of the food chain for the luxury off-road brand. Similarly, the Mercedes-Maybach GLS 600 is the highest level of comfort offered in this luxury SUV.
|2021 Land Rover Range Rover SV Autobiography||2021 Mercedes-Maybach GLS 600|
|Engine Options||5.0-liter supercharged V8||4.0-liter twin-turbocharged V8|
|Horsepower||557 horsepower||550 horsepower|
|Torque||502 lb.-ft.||538 lb.-ft.|
|Transmission||8-speed automatic||9-speed automatic|
|MPG Rating||14/19 mpg, 13/19 mpg (LWB)||15/19 mpg|
If only given the names of two models are, you would likely say the Mercedes-Benz model is the most luxurious, powerful, and expensive but, you can plainly see, the Land Rover is pricier and slightly more powerful. Whether or not the Range Rover is more luxurious is yet to be seen.
Sophistication and elegance beyond expectations in both of these luxury SUVs
While the 2021 land Rover Range Rover SV Autobiography and 2021 Mercedes-Maybach GLS 600 are extremely different, they are also very similar. These two SUVs apply the highest levels of luxury qualities in different ways, but you’d have a hard time finding fault with either one. Once you step inside the cabin, an environment typically reserved for CEOs and high-level dignitaries treats you with high-end luxury appointments.
What are the pros and cons of the Range Rover SUV?
Across the range, Kelley Blue Book tells us the Land Rover gives you:
- Posh interior
- Genuine off-road ability
- Super luxurious SV Autobiography models
- No third-row seat
- Steep price
What are the pros and cons of the GLS 600?
Turn to the Mercedes-Maybach model, and you’ll find:
- Cutting edge technology
- Elegant features
- Excellent driving manners
- Brand prestige
- Pricy from the start
These pros and cons show similarities with the qualities and the high prices, which makes sense for both of these SUVs.
The SV Autobiography trim is actually two trim levels
You’ll either have the Dynamic or the Ultimate levels when selecting the Land Rover Range Rover SV Autobiography. This high-end luxury SUV offers you:
- Standard wheelbase only
- Unique exterior styling
- 21-inch alloy wheels
- Quilted and perforated semi-aniline leather upholstery
- 24-way “hot stone” massaging front seats
- SV Autobiography Dynamic Suspension tuning
- Executive-class power-reclining rear seats
- Deployable rear-seat tables
- Perforated leather headliner
- Mohair floormats with leather binding
- Standard or long-wheelbase (LWB)
- Green satin-finish exterior pain
- Ebony interior
- Ebony and tan interior
- Heated, cooled, and massaging rear seats (LWB)
- Clock and refrigerator in center console (LWB)
- Active Roll Control
- Carbon-fiber trim
- Anodized red shift paddles
- Optional 22-inch alloy wheels
Looking at this list of features, you see a healthy dose of pure comfort and luxury coming from a brand that’s well-known for luxury off-road SUVs.
Only one trim level for the Mercedes-Maybach, but it’s a luxurious package
While some Mercedes-Benz GLS models come with seating for seven, the Maybach model does not. You’ll have seating for four or five across two rows and a generous cargo area in the rear of the vehicle, and this executive-level SUV also offers:
- Rear-seat tablet-based infotainment system for each rear passenger
- Heated/ventilated/massaging seats
- Airline-style folding tables in the four-seat version
- 21-inch wheels
- Hands-free power tailgate
- Remote engine start
- Surround-view camera system
- Air suspension
- Quad-zone climate controls
- Parking Damage detection
- Two 12.3-inch screens in the dashboard
- Burmester audio system
- Nine USB-C ports
- E-Active body control
There’s no shortage of elegance, sophistication, or luxury in the Mercedes-Maybach GLS 600 which is an SUV that has the comfort and quality to make the stodgiest person smile.
Should you buy the Land Rover Range Rover SV Autobiography or the Mercedes-Maybach GLS 600?
Considering the price range you’re playing in; you might want to go ahead and spend a little more to have the Land Rover Range Rover SV Autobiography which brings more options, power, and features. However, if you admire what Mercedes brings to the table, there’s nothing wrong with the Mercedes-Maybach GLS 600. With these two high-end luxury SUVs, you simply cannot lose.