Truck enthusiasts have loved the Ford Super Duty trucks for their exceptional hauling and towing capacities. Families even find that the Ford F-Series makes for the perfect family truck, and hitching up a camper trailer makes for an instant recreational vehicle. But, one area where Ford’s line of F-Series Super Duty trucks has not excelled in would be as an off-road truck.
What makes an off-road truck different?
The features that distinguish an off-road capable pickup truck include a beefed-up drive train package that can power through both paved and unpaved surfaces, hills and ravines, and any road surface that has limited traction. Typical off-road trucks will boast the following:
- large tires with deep, open treads
- a tough, yet flexible suspension
- an engine with good torque output
- low-range gearing to climb steep roads
- four-wheel drive (4WD or a 4×4 system)
- higher ground clearance
- useful amenities like a winch
If you’re in the market for a new Ford truck, consider adding the Tremor Package for Ford Super Duty trucks that offers an upgraded set of off-road features to extend the possibilities of your Ford truck’s travel, recreation, and working capabilities.
The Ford Super Duty Tremor Package
In the highly competitive heavy-duty truck industry, Ford engineers know they have to stay current to maintain a good market share. This is especially true with Chevrolet, GMC, and Ram trucks steadily acquiring a wider consumer base. And that’s what the new 2020 F-Series Super Duty Tremor Package is hoping to accomplish with its aggressive towing and payload capability and off-road effectiveness.
Ford is marketing the Tremor Package as its most capable off-road Super Duty to follow on the heels on the light-duty Ford F-150 Raptor. This Ford offering closes the breach that had left Ford out of this class of super-tough yet agile field of scrappy players that include the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Trail Boss and the Ram 2500 Power Wagon.
Possibly, one of the most exciting features within the Tremor package is Ford’s introduction of a selectable drive mode system that includes a special Rock-Crawl mode to tackle the most brutal and rugged paths. Typically, drive modes include Normal, Sport, Track, and Snow/Wet. But, the Tremor’s terrain management system allows an improved ability to tow and haul on different types of terrain with selections that include Mud/Sand, Baja and Rock Crawl.
Some of the features for the Tremor Package include:
- Maximum traction tires – All-terrain, 35-inch Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires on 18-inch matte-finished black rims.
- A Trail Control system – This helps maintain a steady pace by serving as an off-road cruise control system.
- Generous ground clearance – A 2-inch front-end lift with a shorter air dam for 10.8 inches of greater ground clearance.
- Built for riverbed and stream crossing – A 33-in (83.82 cm) segment-leading water fording capacity
- Ramp and ravine climbing – Features the best approach and departure angles (31.65 degrees and 24.51 degrees)
- Stable riding over obstacles – The rear stabilizer bar that boasts a lower spring rate, making for a smoother ride over obstaclesT
Available Ford Super Duty trim levels
The Tremor package will be offered on a number of the Ford trim levels including the F-250 and F-350 lineups. But, if you’re set on a Super Duty Ford pickup truck, then you will be able to pair the Tremor Package with Ford’s XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, and Platinum trim model.
The 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor Package will be made available later this year with engine options to include a 7.3-liter V8 that offers 430 hp and 475 lb-ft of torque running through a 10-speed automatic. A more fuel-efficient engine is also available with the 6.7-liter PowerStroke diesel engine.
Pricing for the 2020 Super Duty Tremor package is estimated at around $4,000, which may be worth it for those who desire a pickup truck that can handle rugged terrains without a problem.