The 2021 Ford F-150 Just Got Incredible Towing Upgrades
Whoa, now, slow your tow. You need to check out what the 2021 Ford F-150 can do. The new Ford F-150 already rolled out with incredible towing upgrades earlier in the year, but now it has even more cool tech to consider.
Is the 2021 Ford F-150 good for towing?
Yes, the 2021 Ford F-150 is great for towing. When properly equipped, it can tow up to 14,000 lbs. It’s the class leader for towing, and according to AutoBlog, it just got even better with significant towing upgrades.
The Ford F-150 now offers Onboard Scales. So when you load your cargo into the truck bed, the weight of those items will be displayed on the central touchscreen and your FordPass app. By the way, the maximum payload capacity is 3,325 lbs.
If you already have cargo in your bed but want to weigh new items individually, you can zero out the weight, then add the new items. This process is called ‘Scale Mode.’ With the tailgate step, you could probably use this system to weigh yourself!
Ford also added the ‘Smart Taillamps feature to gauge how much weight is in the bed. The rear tail lamps have four LED bars that vertically illuminate as more weight is added. The more LED bars you light up, the closer to the cargo capacity you are.
If all four lights are on, you’ve hit your maximum payload capacity. If you continue to add weight, the lights will start blinking to signal that the truck bed has been overloaded.
Speaking of overloading things, the Ford Smart Hitch feature measures the tongue of the trailer that’s being connected. You’ll see the weight on your infotainment screen or in the phone app, plus the tail light LED bars will light up. If you’re overweight, the truck will provide advice for properly tensioning a weight distributing hitch.
What are the other Ford F-150 towing features?
The 2021 Ford F-150 offers Trailer Reverse Guidance and Pro Trailer Backup Assist Systems. The Reverse Guidance feature uses the truck’s high res cameras to overlay graphics that tell you where to turn while backing up.
Then the Pro Trailer Backup Assist helps you even more by allowing you to control the direction of your trailer with a knob on the dashboard. Your Ford F-150 will take over the steering direction from there.
With the Ford F-150 trailer tow mirrors, you get a Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) with Trailer Coverage. The Trailer Coverage alerts you if a vehicle is detected in the blind spot of your truck or trailer.
What is the Ford F-150 trailering guide like?
The 2021 Ford F-150 offers six powertrains with different abilities.
- The 3.3-liter V6 engine with 290 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque can carry a payload of 1,985 lbs and tow up to 8,200 lbs.
- The 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 with 325 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque has a maximum payload capacity of 2,480 lbs and can tow up to 10,100 lbs.
- The 5.0-liter V8 engine with 400 hp and 410 lb-ft of torque can carry up to 3,325 lbs and tow as much as 13,000 lbs.
- The 3.0-liter Power Stroke V6 turbo-diesel provides 250 hp and 440 lb-ft of torque. It can carry up to 1,840 and tow up to 12,100 lbs.
- The 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 with 400 hp and 500 lb-ft of torque delivers 400 hp and 500 lb-ft of torque. It has a maximum payload capacity of 3,250 lbs and a towing capacity of 14,000 lbs.
- The 3.5-liter PowerBoost V6 in the Ford F-150 Hybrid pumps out 430 hp and 570 lb-ft of torque. It can carry up to 2,120 lbs and tow up to 12,700 lbs.