The Ford Maverick is a compact pickup truck model produced and sold by the Ford Motor Company. However, there’s an old Ford Maverick and a new Ford Maverick. The first Ford Maverick was a compact sedan, offered in two-door and four-door variants, produced and sold in America (as well as Brazil and Venezuela) from 1969 to 1977.
Released in 2021 for the 2022 model year, the new Ford Maverick takes the historic nameplate for an all-new type of vehicle. The Ford Maverick is the smallest truck ever produced and marketed by the company for sale. It is based on the C2 front-wheel drive and unibody platform from the now discontinued Ford Focus sedan and hatchback models. This platform is shared by the most recent generation of the Ford Escape and the new Ford Bronco Sport.
With a new era of compact trucks in the works, the Ford Maverick will soon be facing heavy competition from the Chevy Montana and the Hyundai Santa Cruz. We’ll have to wait and see who comes out on top.
- 2022 Ford Maverick (Starting MSRP $19,995)
- Pros: The Ford Maverick compact pickup truck offers a new entry-level for interested drivers with a compelling design that still provides a decent amount of power, as well as payload and towing capacity.
- Cons: The baseline Maverick comes with stiff handling, a lack of desirable features, and less performance heft than its prominent rival, the Hyundai Santa Cruz.
- See Also: Ranger and F-150
- Why is it called the Ford Maverick?
- What accessories are available for the Ford Maverick?
- Ford Maverick vs. Ford Ranger
- What’s included in the Ford Maverick First Edition?