The Ford EcoSport (pronounced echo-sport) is a subcompact crossover SUV model produced and sold by the Ford Motor Company. The upcoming 2022 Ford EcoSport will be the last model year of the vehicle, at least for the near future. In Sept. 2021, Ford announced that the EcoSport would be discontinued in 2022, making way for the Ford Maverick compact pickup truck.
The Ford EcoSport is unique as it wasn’t first sold in America. Produced in 2003, the first generation of the EcoSport was sold exclusively in South America and Mexico. However, after a redesign for its second generation, the Ford EcoSport was launched globally in 2012, bringing the model to India, Russia, China, and the U.S., among other markets.
The current second and last generation of the Ford EcoSport was based on the also now retired Ford Fiesta subcompact car model. With its small size and affordable price, the Ford EcoSport was marketed as a budget vehicle and competed against other small SUVs like the Buick Encore, the Honda HR-V, the Mazda CX-3, and the Toyota C-HR.
- 2021 Ford EcoSport (Starting MSRP $20,395)
- Pros: With its subcompact SUV build, the Ford EcoSport is incredibly affordable, easy to maneuver on the road, and provides easy-to-use features.
- Cons: The EcoSport is less fuel-efficient than you’d expect for its size and lacks both power and space.
- See Also: Fiesta and Escape
- How safe is the Ford EcoSport?
- How reliable is the Ford EcoSport?
- Is the Ford EcoSport discontinued in America?
- Ford EcoSport vs. Ford Escape
Avoid the Nissan Kicks for the More Capable Ford EcoSport Instead
Consumer Reports Said the 2020 Ford EcoSport Is ‘Neither Eco nor Sport’
The Least Reliable 2021 Subcompact SUVs According to Consumer Reports
The 2021 Hyundai Venue vs. the 2020 Ford EcoSport: Which Is Better for You?
The Ford EcoSport Is the Worst Ford Vehicle You Should Never Buy