The Land Rover Defender is a four-wheel-drive off-road luxury SUV model produced and sold by the Land Rover brand of the British company Jaguar Land Rover Automotive PLC.
The Land Rover Defender succeeded the Land Rover Series I, II, and III, which were off-road vehicles modeled after a British version of the Willys Jeep model used during World War II. This led the Defender, like Jeep and the Jeep Wrangler, to become known for its rugged build, off-road capabilities, and versatility.
First released in 1987, the Land Rover Defender nameplate has been primarily offered as the Defender 90 and 110 models (and briefly as the Defender 127 and 130 extra-long and heavy-duty wheelbase versions). An all-new version of the Defender (L663) officially debuted in 2019 and replaced the original Defender (L316), although the initial build is still sold worldwide in many developing countries. The competitors of the old and new Defender include the Ford Bronco, the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Wrangler, the Mercedes-Benz G-Class, and the Toyota 4Runner.
About Land Rover
- 2022 Land Rover Defender (Starting MSRP $51,700)
- Pros: The Land Rover Defender off-road luxury SUV is nearly unmatched in off-road capabilities while still retaining a refined and smooth on-road performance. Additionally, its interior is outfitted well with luxury comfort and technology features.
- Cons: The fuel economy ratings of the Defender are poor, its best features are locked-off on high-priced trim levels, and its V6 engine option is surprisingly slow (for a V6).
- See Also: Discovery and Range Rover
- How reliable is the Land Rover Defender?
- How safe is the Land Rover Defender?
- Land Rover Defender vs. Jeep Grand Cherokee L
- Land Rover Defender vs. Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
2021 Land Rover Defender 90 Review, Pricing, and Specs
This Land Rover Defender is Delicious and Feeds 2,000 People
Why Was the 1993 Land Rover Defender 110 Added to the NHTSA’s Blacklist
Is the 2021 Land Rover Defender That Much Better Than a Toyota FJ Cruiser?
This Rare Land Rover Defender Might Be the Coolest Vintage 4×4 SUV on the Planet