The Toyota 86 is a sports car coupe model produced and sold by the Toyota Motor Corporation. Sized and priced below the more powerful Toyota Supra, the Toyota 86 is pitched as an affordable sports car that offers sharp styling and thrilling performance for a more competitive and entry-level price.
Initially created as a concept model, the Toyota 86 would first debut at the 2011 Tokyo Motor Show. However, when the model first went on sale in early 2021, it was not branded as a Toyota. In fact, it was branded as two different vehicles outside of the Toyota catalog: the Scion FR-S and the Subaru BRZ.
In early 2016, Toyota decided to retire the Scion brand. However, it wanted to keep many of the Scion lineup models and rebranded them as new Toyota models. Therefore, the Scion FR-S was reborn as the first 2016 Toyota 86. Recently rebranded as the Toyota GR86, the model’s main competitors in the automotive market include the Chevy Camaro, the Ford Mustang, and the Mazda MX-5 Miata.
- 2022 Toyota GR86 (Starting MSRP: $27,700)
- Pros: The Toyota 86 is an affordable and stylish ride with tight and responsive handling and more cargo space than you would expect from a sports car.
- Cons: The approachable price tag of the 86 comes with some disadvantages, such as less power and features than its more expensive competitors.
- See Also: GR 86 and GR Supra
- How fast is the Toyota 86?
- How powerful is the Toyota 86?
- Is the Toyota 86 the same car as the Subaru BRZ?
- What is the Toyota GR 86?