Only 1 Subaru Model Made a ‘Green Choice’ List
According to the latest Consumer Reports Green Choice list, which highlights the vehicles with the cleanest emissions on the market, only one Subaru model has made the cut. The Green Choice program recognizes cars with low emissions, whether they are gas-powered, hybrid, plug-in hybrid (PHEV), or electric. Despite Subaru’s reputation for producing environmentally friendly and fuel-efficient vehicles, only the Solterra was recognized as meeting the program’s stringent criteria.
Consumer Reports’ Green Choice program
The Consumer Reports Green Choice program is an initiative that aims to highlight vehicles that have the cleanest emissions on the market, whether they are gas-powered, hybrid, plug-in hybrid (PHEV), or electric vehicles (EVs). The program was founded to help consumers make informed choices when purchasing a vehicle and to encourage automakers to prioritize environmental performance.
The Green Choice Program evaluates vehicles based on their emissions of greenhouse gases, which contribute to global warming, and smog-forming pollutants, which harm human health and the environment.
The evaluations are conducted by experts at Consumer Reports who use data from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the California Air Resources Board (CARB) to calculate a vehicle’s overall greenhouse gas and smog scores.
Vehicles that earn the highest scores on both the greenhouse gas and smog indexes are designated as Green Choice vehicles by Consumer Reports. These vehicles are recognized as the cleanest and most environmentally friendly models in their class.
The Green Choice Program was founded in response to growing concerns about the impact of transportation on the environment and public health. By highlighting the cleanest vehicles on the market, Consumer Reports hopes to encourage automakers to improve the environmental performance of their vehicles and to help consumers make choices that are better for the environment and their own health.
Subaru’s eco-friendly and versatile Solterra
The Subaru Solterra is a compact SUV that offers impressive performance and a range of 228 miles on a single charge, making it ideal for daily commutes and weekend road trips. It is equipped with a powerful 72.8 kWh battery that produces 215 horsepower and 249 lb-ft of torque, providing a smooth and efficient ride.
In addition to its exceptional electric powertrain, the Solterra also offers plenty of space for passengers and cargo, with a roomy 29.0 cubic feet of cargo capacity with all seats in place. The vehicle’s four-wheel independent suspension and front and rear stabilizer bars ensure a comfortable and stable ride.
The standard safety features, including dual front side-mounted airbags and front and rear head airbags, provide peace of mind for drivers and passengers alike. Overall, the Solterra is a strong contender in the growing market of eco-friendly SUVs. However, buyers should carefully consider their priorities and budget before making a decision.
The best eco-friendly vehicles to buy right now, according to Consumer Reports
If the Solterra doesn’t speak to you, there are plenty of other environmentally-friendly choices. Here are some eco-friendly vehicles from Consumer Reports’ list of the best green cars to buy right now:
- The BMW iX is a futuristic electric SUV with a range of up to 300 miles, advanced technology features, and a spacious cabin.
- The Ford Escape Hybrid is a practical hybrid SUV that gets 41 mpg overall with a roomy interior and standard safety features.
- The Ford Maverick Hybrid is a compact hybrid pickup truck that can tow up to 2,000 pounds and boasts an impressive 40 mpg in the city.
- The Genesis GV60 is a luxury electric SUV with a range of up to 248 miles, a dual-motor system that produces 430 horsepower, and a futuristic interior.
- The Hyundai Ioniq 5 is an electric crossover with a range of up to 300 miles and fast-charging capability.
- Hyundai Tucson Hybrid: compact hybrid SUV with a fuel economy of 37 mpg overall and standard all-wheel drive.
- Kia EV6 electric crossover with a range of up to 316 miles on a single charge and a sporty and dynamic driving experience.
- Lexus NX350h, RX350h, and UX250h: luxury hybrid SUVs with a smooth and quiet ride, spacious and elegant interiors, and fuel economy ranging from 29 to 42 mpg overall.