Today, vehicles are better, bigger, faster, and more luxurious than ever. It’s a great time to shop for a family vehicle whether it’s a car, SUV, or truck. Could a truck like the Dodge Ram 1500 be the family vehicle you’re looking for?
What you need in a family vehicle
Buying a new vehicle is a sizeable investment for any family. It must have certain features, especially when you consider how much time you and your family will ride in it. Here are some things to consider:
- Strong safety ratings
- Plenty of space
- Power doors
- Keyless entry
The Dodge Ram 1500
Redesigned for 2019, the Dodge Ram 1500, is a capable, full-size pickup truck with an upscale interior and a ride that rivals most luxury sedans. Overall, according to U.S. News, it’s a great truck that can haul and tow with the best of its competitors.
- Interior: The materials in the cabin are high-quality, and there’s plenty of room for passengers. The Ram 1500 offers a lot of great features standard including driver assistance technology.
- Ride quality: It’s hard to find a better ride in any available truck.
- Hauling and towing: When fully equipped, the Ram 1500 can haul as much as 2,300 pounds and tow up to 12,750 pounds. This makes it one of the top in its class.
- Comfy seating: Ram 1500 offers comfortable, spacious seating.
- Size: The truck takes up a lot of space. If you can fit it, the Ram is a good buy.
- Off-roading: The Rebel trim level for off-roading doesn’t offer what competitors can.
- Fuel economy: The Ram 1500 doesn’t offer the same fuel economy as its peers. You’ll spend more on gas.
- Car-seat connectors: The crew cab models have three sets of LATCH car-seat connectors at the rear seats. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) gave the setup the second-lowest rating for ease of use and stated that the tether anchors can be hard to locate.
Is the Dodge Ram 1500 right for you?
With its redesign, the 2019 Ram 1500 is a nicer pickup truck than its past incarnations. It’s lighter, roomier, and the interior is impressive. It should satisfy families with lots of space, a smooth ride, and great safety features.
While J.D. Power gave it a four out of five ratings for reliability, Consumer Reports only gave it a two out of five reliability rating due in part to a number of recalls. A lower reliability rating can mean that you may encounter issues and repairs, which can be difficult on a family budget.
The good news? The Ram 1500 did well in both IIHS and NHTSA safety ratings. If you’re not buying a new 2019 Ram 1500, according to Consumer Reports, consider the 2012 model, which had few trouble spots. According to the marks the Ram 1500 received, you may want to give the 2016 and 2018 models a pass.
The redesigned Ram 1500 is currently one of the most capable and technology-rich trucks in its class. If the fuel economy isn’t a deal-breaker for your budget, it may be the perfect vehicle for your family.