Trucks & SUVs

Honda Ridgeline Owners Are More Satisfied With Their Trucks Than Toyota Owners

Pickup trucks are some of the best-selling vehicles on the market today. The auto industry constantly track trends and monitor sales figures to stay abreast of how consumers react to market influences.

A recent survey of pickup truck owners found that the Honda Ridgeline had a better satisfaction rating than the popular Toyota Tundra and Toyota Tacoma trucks. We looked further into this claim and found some interesting data to back up the theory.

What makes a satisfying car?

RELATED: Does the Honda Ridgeline’s Unibody Make it a Better Truck?

The in-depth survey was conducted by iSeeCars, a website that utilizes a car search engine to help shoppers find a good deal on a used car. They analyzed over 900,000 used cars from the model years 2012 and 2013, sold in the first nine months of 2020.

The study revealed that hybrid owners are more satisfied with their cars than those with traditional gas-powered vehicles. The hybrid that had the best overall owner satisfaction belonged to the Toyota Highlander. Four out of five of the other top hybrid vehicles were Toyota vehicles, as well.

The Tesla Model S held a wide gap over competitors for owner loyalty. A reported 23.6% of Tesla drivers reported keeping their vehicles more than any other manufacturer. More original owners of 2012-2013 Tesla Model S vehicles are on the road than any other EV brand.

What makes the Honda Ridgeline so satisfying?

According to the survey, approximately 16.4 percent of pickup truck owners from the model year 2012 to 2013 hold onto their trucks and are the original owner. The other 83.6 percent have sold their trucks and moved on to another vehicle.

The Honda Ridgeline has a higher average, leading the list of owner satisfaction. The amount of original owners is 26.9 percent, almost two times the national average. It is an impressive claim, considering the unsuspecting truck beat out the Toyota Tacoma and Toyota Tundra.

Ranking right behind the Ridgeline, an estimated 22.5 percent of Tacoma owners held onto their trucks, while 21.4 percent of Tundra drivers are the original owners of their 2012 – 2013 pickups.

The author of the study noted that

“The Honda Ridgeline is unique as a pickup truck built on a traditional car platform. Yet it offers competitive midsize truck capabilities as well as excellent ride quality and the dependability of a Honda, making it effective for a wide variety of car – and truck-oriented tasks.”

How other popular pickup trucks ranked

They also mentioned that while the Honda beat out the Toyota trucks, it was not surprising the brand rated above the average considering its reputation for reliability and dependability.

The Nissan Frontier and Chevy Colorado also scored slightly above average, with iSeeCars saying, “Both of these trucks are among the most affordable in their class, attracting practical-minded owners looking to keep them for a long time.”

The best-selling Ford F-150 ranked fifth on the list with a rating of 16.7 percent for owner satisfaction. It is most likely attributed to the durable nature of America’s favorite truck.

The pickup truck that did the worst on the study was the GMC Canyon that scored 0.7 times below the average. Only 12.1 percent of original owners held onto the GMC truck.

Consumer Reports gives the Honda Ridgeline an overall score of 5 out of 5 for owner satisfaction in the current year model. It attributes the high score to the driving experience, comfort, and styling. An estimated 86 percent of current owners said they would purchase the Honda Ridgeline again.

As the new 2021 Honda Ridgeline rolls onto showroom floors, new owners have a lot to be excited about with Car and Driver saying the new model is the “truck equivalent of a Swiss Army knife.”