The Most Fuel-Efficient Vehicles to Drive When You Don’t Want an EV
If the idea of looking for an electric vehicle charging station turns you off and you want to stick to gas-powered vehicles, you’ve come to the right place. These are some of the most fuel-efficient models you can find. Each one is three to five years old, giving you the savings you want from a pre-owned model.
Why would you want fuel-efficient gasoline vehicles and not EVs?
Although EV charging location numbers are growing, we still don’t have enough to go around. The cost of a home charger could be more than you want to spend, and a new EV might also be out of your price range. Some new EVs are in such high demand that dealers are pricing them out of the market for most buyers, who might spend weeks waiting for the electric model to arrive.
That doesn’t sound like a viable option for most drivers.
What are the most fuel-efficient vehicles without electric assistance?
High gas prices are becoming a norm, and the only way to combat them is with a more efficient vehicle. Forbes provides a strong list to give you some great options and excellent fuel economy numbers. The models you want to consider are:
- 2017-2019 Mitsubishi Mirage – 39 mpg
- 2017-2019 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 – 37 mpg
- 2017-2019 Honda Civic – 36 mpg
- 2017-2019 Honda Fit – 36 mpg
- 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback – 36 mpg
- 2017 Ford Fiesta – 35 mpg
- 2017-2019 Hyundai Elantra – 35 mpg
- 2019 Kia Forte – 35 mpg
- 2017-2019 Mazda2 – 35 mpg
- 2017-2019 Toyota Yaris iA – 35 mpg
- 2017 Chevrolet Cruze – 34 mpg
- 2017-2018 Ford Focus – 34 mpg
- 2017-2019 Nissan Versa – 34 mpg
- 2017-2019 Toyota Camry – 34 mpg
- 2017-2019 Toyota Corolla – 34 mpg
- 2019 Toyota Yaris – 34 mpg
- 2019 Volkswagen Jetta – 34 mpg
- 2017-2019 Chevrolet Spark – 33 mpg
- 2018-2019 Honda Accord – 33 mpg
- 2019 Lexus UX 200 – 300 mpg
- 2018-2019 Nissan Kicks – 33 mpg
Are there any fuel-efficient trucks?
In every case, fuel efficiency is a relative term, but, yes, some trucks deliver good fuel economy numbers. Some of these trucks are:
- Ram 1500 – 19/24 mpg
- Ford Maverick – 23/30 mpg (hybrid)
- Hyundai Santa Cruz – 21/27 mpg
- Chevrolet Colorado – 17/24 mpg
- GMC Canyon – 19/25 mpg
- Ford F-150 – 19/22 mpg
- Toyota Tundra – 17/22 mpg
- Ford Ranger – 19/24 mpg
- Toyota Tacoma – 18/22 mpg
- Honda Ridgeline – 18/24 mpg
- GMC Sierra 1500 – 15/19 mpg
- Chevrolet Silverado 1500 – 19/22 mpg
- Nissan Frontier – 18/24 mpg
- Jeep Gladiator – 16/23 mpg
- Nissan Titan – 15/20 mpg
What 2022 vehicle has the best gas mileage?
If the selection of small vehicles from a few years ago isn’t to your liking, a selection of cars from the current model year offers the best fuel economy. Unfortunately, if you’re trying to avoid hybrids and EVs, you won’t like this list either. However, if you don’t mind expanding your range to a hybrid, you could drive:
- Hyundai Elantra Hybrid – 56 mpg
- Toyota Camry Hybrid – 53 mpg
- Honda Accord Hybrid 48 mpg
- Lexus UX hybrid – 43 mpg
These are just a few hybrid models in this list of new cars.
What 2022 SUVs have the best gas mileage?
To avoid a hybrid or electric vehicle in the SUV market, you’ll have to move to the eighth spot on the Kelley Blue Book list and see the 2022 Nissan Rogue, which offers up to 33 mpg. The Nissan Kicks matches the Rogue, and it’s not a hybrid or EV either. Of course, if you expand your options, you’ll find several hybrid SUVs that offer excellent fuel economy numbers, including:
- Toyota RAV4 Hybrid – 40 mpg
- Toyota Venza – 39 mpg
- Hyundai Tucson Hybrid – 38 mpg
- Honda CR-V Hybrid – 38 mpg
- Kia Sorento Hybrid – 37 mpg
Which vehicle will you drive?
Did one more of the pre-owned models show you the fuel economy numbers you want and offer you the type of vehicle you’re looking for? Did you find the capability desired in one of the trucks or SUVs on the list? It might seem difficult to avoid driving an EV when you want excellent efficiency, but it can be done.
Next, check out an impressive award for the Jeep Wrangler 4xe, or watch ten o the most fuel-efficient cars that aren’t electric or hybrid in the video below:
This article was updated on 8/23/2022.