It’s been a trying year for automotive safety, and seemingly no automaker has been safe from the rash of recalls that are making the rounds. This includes Ford, which earlier this year recalled numerous Edge SUV units for potential fuel leaks, but the company’s SUV concerns haven’t stopped there.
The company on Tuesday announced a recall effort covering 434,700 vehicles, including 385,750 early year Escape crossovers spanning the 2001 to 2004 model years, as well as 48,950 model-year 2013-2014 Fusion, Lincoln MKZ, Escape, and C-MAX vehicles, for a different reason.
On the Ford Escapes, rust might cause the vehicle’s subframe and lower control arm to detach, therefore possibly reducing steering control and increasing the risk of an accident. All units affected are located in either the U.S. or Canada, Reuters reports, citing an email from Ford.
The company said that those vehicles are most likely to be affected in high-corrosion environments, notably in areas where salt or brine was used on the roads to melt away ice.
As for the newer models — the Fusion, MKZ, and C-Max — Ford will be replacing the seat-back frames, as the originals didn’t fall within compliance with the standards set forth by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Some of the frames may have been constructed with sub-standard welds, therefore increasing the risk of injury in the event of a collision, Ford says.
Reuters made no mention of any reports of injuries or fatalities as a result of the defects, so we’d assume that there were none.
Fortunately, Ford has been able to dodge really severe recalls so far this year. 2014 is scheduled to be one of the busiest in the company’s history, with 23 global product launches. If Ford was to experience something along the lines of what General Motors is going through right now, it would put a serious kink in Ford’s plans for 2014.