Ford’s redesigned Escape was released to great acclaim as a 2013 model year vehicle in 2012. It offers commendable mileage, loads of utility, and doesn’t look half bad either; Ford, on paper, had a winner on its hands. The company still does, really, except that on Friday it announced a recall of 692,700 Escapes for issues pertaining to its doorhandles.
What makes these recalls especially notable, though, is that in its short two-year lifespan, the Escape has been recalled considerable times — over five, at least. That’s a ton for one vehicle, especially given its brief life on the market.
Ford says that this issue could potentially cause the exterior door handles to open while the car is in motion and fail to latch properly. No crashes or injuries have been reported as a result of the issue, and it just takes a simple adjustment by the dealer to fix. The vehicles affected are from the 2013 and 2014 model year.
That, however, is only half the story. The poor Escape was called in for another reason as a part of a different recall, this time for a handful (albeit, a really, really large handful) of C-Max hybrids. Reportedly, there is a problem involving a software glitch that could delay the deployment of the safety canopy in certain rollovers, The Detroit News reports.
That second recall covers 692,500 2013 and 2014 Ford Escape and C-Max vehicles, and again, Ford says no accidents or injuries were tied to the problem. Dealers need only reprogram the restraint control module, and the problem is solved.
“If that math doesn’t seem to add up, it’s important to note that all of the Escapes involved in the airbag recall are also included in the door handle issue,” Autoblog pointed out.
Just last week, Ford moved $400 million into its warranty and repair account to help with issues such as this. The news comes after General Motors also launched another recall — its fifth in the past two weeks — as major automakers struggle to stay ahead of safety concerns and avoid huge blowups like Toyota’s unintended acceleration issue and GM’s current ignition switch issue.
On the subject of General Motors, we recently tracked the company’s five largest recalls so far this year. Here are a few of them:
5. March 31: 489,936 vehicles
March 31 was a rough day for GM, as a big recall was announced. The announcement, affecting SUVs and pickups, was the recall of nearly 490,000 vehicles. Models included the Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra pickup trucks, Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe SUVs, as well as the GMC Yukon and Yukon XL.
The main issue plaguing the trucks and SUVs was a fire hazard because of leaking oil contacting hot surfaces due to an oil cooler line not secured to the fitting. People can bring their vehicle to dealers for a free repair.
According to Greater Fort Wayne Business Weekly, the repair shouldn’t take much time. “If needed, a small pressure ring can be attached to a metal seat that goes into a fitting. The fix is simple, and the ring is easy enough to see that once it is on, technicians will be able to tell without any difficulty that the line is seated,” the publication reports.
On February 13, a recall of 780,000 older compact cars was announced, as it had been found that the engine can shut down without warning, leading to disastrous results. There have been a reported six deaths as a result of the defect, and another 17 crashes. Vehicles affected in the callback include 2005-2007 Chevy Cobalt and Pontiac G5 compact sedans.
The problem stems from faulty ignition switches that tend to loosen if there is added weight on the driver’s key chain. The added weight puts extra stress on the ignition switch, causing it to become loose. Driving over bumpy roads can also add extra stress on the switch. With a loosened switch, the key has an easier time slipping into the off position, turning the car off while in motion and turning off all safety features with it.
You can read the full report here.