Detroit Auto Show Canceled for 2020
The 2020 North American International Auto Show has now been added to the growing list of rescheduled or canceled automotive events due to COVID-19 pandemic. The Federal Emergency Management Administration determined that Detroit’s TCF Center, known previously as Cobo Center, will serve as a temporary field hospital location, according to the Detroit Free Press.
Michigan state officials announced Saturday that reported cases of COVID-19 are at 4,650, and 111 confirmed deaths. The most significant number of reported cases in the state come from Detroit, 1,377. This news comes just after national reports of U.S. coronavirus-related deaths doubling in two days, and as a result, the TCF Center location will be utilized for at least half a year as ongoing relief efforts take effect. It is this action that resulted in the cancelation of the Detroit Auto Show for the 2020 year.
Rod Alberts, NAIAS executive director, offered this statement on the cancelation, “The health and welfare of the citizens of Detroit and Michigan is paramount. TCF Center is the ideal location for this important function at this critical and unprecedented time.”
Other automotive shows that have been canceled or rescheduled include Geneva, New York, and Beijing.
Detroit Auto Show canceled for 2020 but will return in 2021
News of this cancelation is not only necessary but wise under the growing global healthcare crisis. There was a great deal of anticipation surrounding the 2020 show. It would have been the first significant auto event taking place in the spring.
Organizers and show sponsors have announced that the show is planned to resume in June of 2021. All of the previously scheduled media events, preview days, and promotional events will be rescheduled for the 2021 show as well.
New 2021 show dates and events
- Motor Bella – June 11-14: A street fair of English and Italian cars and food.
- The Gallery – June 14: An invitation-only show of the latest exotic and luxury vehicles.
- Press Preview – June 15-16: Automakers from around the world reveal new vehicles and technologies.
- AutoMobili-D Powered by PlanetM – June 15-17: Innovators showcase new ideas to automakers and suppliers.
- Industry Preview – June 16-17: Engineers and designers study new vehicles for competitive information.
- Charity Preview – June 18: Massive event raises millions for local charities.
- Public Show – June 19-26