Skip to main content

A well-followed doctor recently took to social media to share an unexpected injury suffered by an influencer. The woman, Kyndal Bret, had been keeping a liquid car air freshener inside her vehicle. While she trusted the widely-used brand to lightly scent the car’s interior, it ended up putting her in the hospital.

Dr. Kunal Snood has more than a million followers on Instagram. He often posts informational quick takes explaining general health topics or poking fun at his career and daily life. This month, he posted a reel explaining how a Bed, Bath, & Beyond liquid car air freshener became overheated and exploded. The contents caused chemical burns on the influencer’s face and to her eyes. The reel is embedded below and has been viewed more than 5.5 million times.

In addition to the ER bill, Bret’s car headliner was stained from the chemicals. In Bret’s original TikTok, which has been viewed more than 60 million times, commenters share their own experiences with the liquid air fresheners.

A woman's reflection in the rearview mirror of a car as she covers her face with her hands
FTiare via iStock

Some are saying that the same thing happened to them. When the vehicle cabin gets hot from direct sun, the car air freshener may burst, causing injury and staining. The commenters have said that you can notify the brand and possibly be compensated for damages.

Yet others say that they also use these air fresheners and that this has never happened to them. However, a Reddit user said that the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) clearly states that the contents are volatile when heated.

One commenter recommended using hanging, soaked paper or wood fresheners, not encapsulated liquids. If you’re concerned about car air freshener units overheating and exploding, you might consider this, too.