Best Ford F-150 Mods and Upgrades in 2021
Thanks to the comfortability of the large interior cabin, the convenience of the 6-ft truck bed, and excellent performance, the Ford F-150 is one of the most popular vehicles in America. The truck hasn’t sold fewer than 500,000 units since 2009 according to GoodCarBadCar. In fact, over the last 40 years, the F-series as a whole has sold more units than any other vehicle in America. That means there are far too many mods and upgrades to choose from, so how do you decide? The best Ford F-150 mods and upgrades are the ones with the most practicality, convenience, and sometimes fun.
One of the reasons the F-150 is so popular is that its utility is enough to suit anyone’s needs, while not being overly large or uncomfortable, like a work truck. The F-150 is a daily driver and can haul when you need it to. Another reason is the customization. People love customizing their trucks with lift kits, gigantic wheels, massive roof lights, and various bed transformations. The F-150 is highly customizable and being so popular, obviously has tons of mods and upgrades available from both Ford and aftermarket companies.
1. Upgrade to a tonneau cover
One of the most popular upgrades to any truck, a tonneau cover allows you to keep things dry and safe inside the bed without sacrificing the look of the truck. Bed caps can be an eyesore for some, or inconvenient for others, but the tonneau cover allows the same coverage with less room. Being able to move and re-cover the bed whenever necessary is a highly regarded feature. Options for the tonneau cover are the following:
- Tyger Auto T3, which gives weathertight sealing and is dual-coated for the best overall performance.
- Gator ETX requires no drill for installation and is a softcover with full bed access.
- BAK MX4 BAKFlip has a water-resistant rubber seal and is a hardcover for extra strength and durability.
- TruXedo TruXport Soft is a rollup cover with velcro strips, that fits all F-150 models from 2015 to 2021.
2. Upgrade your bed with these accessories
While you’re covering up the bed of your truck with the tonneau cover, you might want something in there to hold whatever you’re storing. Big or small, there are options that fit anyone’s needs.
- Undercover SwingCase is highly recommended online. If you search for a great storage container for the bed of an F-150, this is what you’ll find. The SwingCase stows against the side of the bed and swings out for your convenience whenever you need to open it. It also comes with a lock, so if valuable tools or other items are being stored inside, you need not worry about them.
- Topline Fold Down Truck Bed Extenders have a telescoping design to fit any tailgate. With stainless steel hardware, mount it directly to the tailgate and fold it flat down on it when not in use so it completely disappears. It even comes fully assembled so you only need to mount it.
- Load Handler CargoCatch is another option for bed storage. With 4 separate storage compartments, store anything in these mesh bags on a telescopic rail system. This is perfect for someone who takes a trip to the store only to find bags and items scattered all over the truck bed.
3. Mods to make driving more fun
All the convenience and storage in the world are necessary and great, but this is where the real fun begins. Making modifications to a truck’s suspension, height, or other facets makes driving more interesting. Especially if you’re someone who likes to take your F-150 offroad.
- Lift Kits are good for giving more ground clearance, or just making your truck look bigger than it actually is. Regardless of your reason for buying one, there are tons of options available and the right fit is really up to you. Some highly recommended brands are BDS Suspension, Rough Country, and ReadyLift.
- Suspension Kits sort of go hand-in-hand with the lift kits. If you’re going to lift your truck and take it offroad, chances are you’re in for a bumpy ride. Air suspension kits will make it so your F-150 can handle anything with ease, and with adjustable firmness, it doesn’t matter how you’re using the truck. Tighten up to tow heavy items and loosen to drive smoothly to work. A standard shock kit is adjustable and adds shock absorption. Get a smoother ride and handle offroad terrain easier. Recommended brands are Bilstein, Rancho, and Moog.
- Performance Exhaust Systems are what you’re looking for if the F-150 you bought isn’t loud enough for you. With such quality materials and upgrades to a new truck, you might not be able to hear it very well. Magnaflow is a recommended brand and will give your truck a growl like you didn’t know it could produce. Other brand options include Borla, Gibson, and Roush.
4. Interior upgrades
All this driving and storage convenience talk, but where are the cool accessories for the inside of my F-150? There are plenty and much more than we could ever fit into a single list. From seat covers and floor liners to center console organizers and armrest cushions, there’s something available for everybody.
- Husky Liners Weatherbeater Floor Mats. Designed to perfectly fit the Ford F-150, these mats have raised edges so dirt never gets onto your carpet, and its durable material will withstand whatever weather conditions you drag in the door with you.
- KMMOTORS Console Armrest Cushion does exactly what it sounds like. If you use the center console storage as an armrest most of the time, and never really put it up out of the way as so many do, make it more comfortable. A simple cushion turns the hard surface into a nice cozy place to rest your elbow while driving.
- Carharrt offers custom-fit seat covers for any truck. The exact fit will ensure it looks great on the seat and feels comfortable too. As you’d expect from a brand like Carharrt, they’re made of a heavy-duty material that’s extremely water-resistant and will protect the seats of your F-150 from just about anything.
There are thousands of available upgrades and mods across the internet for the F-150 and just about every other full-size truck on the market. If something specific you’re looking for didn’t appear on this list, make sure to check accessories.ford.com for recommendations on both Genuine Ford Accessories as well as aftermarket options. These are just some of the best Ford F-150 mods and upgrades for 2021.