Are you excited for the pending release of the insane Ford Focus RS? We sure are. After years as being an exclusively European model, Ford has finally decided to share the wealth with us here in North America. It uses the same 2.3 liter turbocharged EcoBoost engine from the new Mustang, only in the RS trim, it fills out 345 horsepower and channels it to all four wheels.
To help generate buzz (though we don’t think it’ll need it), Ford is offering a documentary-style behind-the-scenes look at how the car went from utilitarian family hauler to a corner-carver with a Drift Mode. Starting on September 30, Ford will be floating eight episodes in the series that takes the car from idea to reality, up through the final management review.
“The Focus RS is a unique performance vehicle with an incredible heritage. This creates enormous expectation and intense pressure that demands teamwork, sheer determination and a single-minded focus on delivering the ultimate Focus,” said Raj Nair, Ford’s group vice president, Global Product Development, and chief technical officer. “This access-all-areas documentary perfectly captures what is at times a bumpy ride.”
Nair and notable go-fast enthusiast Ken Block are featured heavily in the series, which travels all over the world as the RS gets subjected to tests in all extremes — from the Arizona desert to the Swedish arctic. Check out the trailer above for an idea of what will come.
Per Ford, here’s how the season will play out:
- Episode 1: Project kickoff – Block and Nair debate what the car should deliver from behind the wheel of an early prototype.
- Episode 2: Design and development – Crunching crashes put the new design to the toughest of tests.
- Episode 3: Hitting the road – A 1,600-kilometre (1,000-mile) drive through epic terrain takes prototypes from high in the Rocky Mountains to the Arizona desert.
- Episode 4: Test-track trials – Block heads for Ford’s top-secret test facility and indulges in some “hooning”
- Episode 5: Arctic extremes – Winter testing in Sweden shows the team is under pressure to improve performance.
- Episode 6: Power struggle – It’s all about performance as the Ford manufacturing plant in Saarlouis, Germany, gears up for production
- Episode 7: Close scrutiny – The day of the critical sign-off drive follows Block’s headline appearance at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.
- Episode 8: Final chapter – It’s time for the nail-biting management review.
The Focus RS will come here to do battle with the Volkswagen Golf R, but apart from that, the car pretty much has the segment to itself in the States. Orders and the configurator are open, and Ford is promising 2016 deliveries. We’re looking forward to getting our hands on one once they land.
More from Autos Cheat Sheet:
- 2016 Rolls-Royce Dawn: Don’t Dare Call it a Convertible
- Cadillac Previews The New XT5 Crossover SUV
- Volkswagen’s Cars Will be “Smartphones on Wheels” by 2020
Want more great content like this? Sign up here to receive the best of Cheat Sheet delivered daily. No spam; just tailored content straight to your inbox.