5 Reasons Buying a Sedan Makes More Sense Than an SUV

It doesn’t take a car wizard to know that SUVs are in much higher demand than sedans nowadays. In fact, a recent report from J.D. Power shows that trucks and SUVs made up for 80% of new vehicle sales in the U.S. for January of this year. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the other 20% are missing out by buying sedans. In actuality, there are many reasons why buying a sedan may actually make more sense than buying an SUV. Here are five of them.

1. A sedan gets better fuel economy than an SUV

A gas pump fueling a car
Gas pump | Getty images

RELATED: How Much Does Using Your Car’s AC Affect the Fuel Economy?

A sedan is not only smaller and lighter than an SUV, but it’s also more fuel-efficient. For example, the 2022 Honda Civic can achieve up to an EPA-estimated 31 mpg in the city and 40 mpg on the highway while its CR-V bigger brother gets up to 28 mpg in the city and 34 on the highway. Keep in mind that both vehicles have the same size engine – a turbocharged 1.5-liter four-cylinder – but the Civic can get you farther between fill-ups.  

2. Most sedans are faster than SUVs

Red 2022 Honda Civic driving on a street, highlighting the cars Democrats and Republicans drive the most
2022 Honda Civic | Honda

In addition to better fuel efficiency, a sedan is typically faster than an SUV. CarBuzz notes that the 2022 Toyota Corolla, for instance, is quicker from a standstill to 60 mph than its bigger Corolla Cross stablemate. The kicker is that both vehicles have the same engine – a 169-hp 2.0-liter four-cylinder. However, the Corolla sedan can go from 0-60 mph a second faster than the SUV variant.

3. Sedans are easier to drive

White 2022 BMW 330e plug-in hybrid sedan driving down coastal highway at sunset
2022 BMW 330e | BMW

Considering a sedan is smaller, lower to the ground, and more agile than an SUV, it’s typically easier to drive. Anyone can imagine that driving a BMW 3 Series up a winding canyon road will be a lot easier than doing the same with an X5. But the same comparison can be made when it comes to everyday driving as well. Have you even tried to pull out of a tight parking lot in a Toyota Tundra? Expect to make an 18-point turn to get you going. A Toyota Camry, on the other hand, will be much easier to maneuver.

4. A sedan will have better cargo security

Rear view of red 2022 Honda Accord Hybrid, highlighting release date and price of 2023 Accord Hybrid
2022 Honda Accord Hybrid | Honda

Unfortunately, thieves are still breaking into vehicles all over the U.S., so if you drive an SUV without a cargo cover, then it’s a possible target. However, if you own a sedan with a proper trunk to store all of your valuables, then you won’t need to worry as much.

5. Believe it or not, a sedan is safer than an SUV

A profile view of a blue BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe being crash tested at the IIHS testing facility.
IIHS crash test of a BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe | IIHS

While an SUV is larger and bulkier than a sedan, that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s safer. For example, CarBuzz notes that the BMW 3 Series has a five-star safety rating from the NHTSA and a rollover risk of 9.2%. On the other hand, the BMW X3 has a four-star rating and a rollover risk of 17.2%. While this is just one example, most SUVs, in general, are at a greater risk for rollovers than sedans, which is something to think about if you’re deciding between the two body styles.

Buying a sedan over an SUV could be a smarter choice

Ultimately, if you’re in the market for a new vehicle, but can’t decide between buying a sedan or an SUV, then you can take these five reasons into consideration. While an SUV can be a clear choice depending on your lifestyle, family size, and needs, a sedan could be an even better choice if you don’t need the extra space or the utility.

RELATED: What’s the Difference Between a Sedan and a Coupe?