The 2016 Nissan Maxima is a full-size sedan that, when it was new, cost about the same as rivals like the Toyota Avalon. Now that it’s been on the market for a few years, you might consider buying a used one. However, is it a good car to buy used? Let’s look at three reasons to choose the 2016 Maxima – and two reasons why you should skip it.
Here are 3 reasons to choose the 2016 Nissan Maxima
1. Driving dynamics – If you enjoy spirited driving, the Nissan Maxima is worth considering. It has quick acceleration and tight handling, all while maintaining comfortable ride quality. It’s powered by a 300-horsepower 3.5-liter V6 engine paired with a CVT automatic transmission.
2. Top crash test scores – According to Edmunds, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) gave the 2016 Maxima its top score of “Good” in every crash test category. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) awarded the sedan five out of five stars in every crash test category except rollover resistance, where it earned four stars.
3. Abundant features for the money – Even a base-model Maxima comes well-equipped. According to Kelley Blue Book, “Even base-model Maxima S sedans come with NissanConnect, an 8-inch touch-screen navigation and infotainment system with voice command, Google search, Bluetooth and two USB ports. Also standard are an 8-way-power driver’s seat, cruise control, push-button ignition and keyless entry, and a rearview camera.”
Here are 2 reasons to skip the 2016 Nissan Maxima
1. Less rear-seat and trunk space than affordable large rivals – In addition to the Nissan Maxima having less overall passenger space than its rivals, its back seat and trunk are particularly small for the class. With 14.3 cubic feet of trunk space, according to Edmunds, it has less than what you will find in many compact cars. If you need a large sedan with plenty of room to grow, this may not be the right choice for you.
2. All-wheel drive is not available – If you frequently drive in snow or live in an area with hilly roads, you might be disappointed to know that an all-wheel drive (AWD) version of the Maxima is not available. Meanwhile, Subaru sedans and the Ford Taurus are options that do offer AWD variants.
Is the 2016 Maxima a good used car?
So, you may still be wondering if the 2016 Nissan Maxima is a good car to buy used. The answer depends on your driving needs and goals. Suppose you value sporty driving dynamics and top safety scores and don’t mind sacrificing some passenger and cargo space, then yes. In that case, the Maxima is worth considering as your next used car purchase. However, if you need more passenger or cargo room or frequently drive in snowy or hilly conditions, you might have better options. Either way, it’s a great used car for the money and will certainly hold its value.