2023 Acura Integra vs. 2022 Sports Cars Under $35,000
Acura revived the Integra name for the first time since 2001 earlier this year. As with most new-car releases, there have been reactions ranging from disgust to elation to indifference. There’s plenty to like about the new 2023 Integra, and Acura made a smart choice bringing back a fuel-efficient, compact sports sedan for this market.
However, it brought the Integra back to life in a market that’s already well-stocked with that type of car. Can the Integra hold its own?
Note: We’ve included fuel economy estimates for all the competitors on this list for comparison purposes; Acura hasn’t yet released mpg ratings for the 2023 Acura Integra. Our best guess is that numbers will align with the Civic Si, but that is not confirmed.
2023 Acura Integra vs. 2022 Honda Civic Si
- The 2022 Civic Si is slightly cheaper, starting at $27,300
- Both cars come standard with a 200-horsepower engine
- Only the Civic Si comes standard with a manual transmission
- The 2022 Civic Si gets up to 37 mpg on the highway
The 2022 Civic Si has a more muted styling than the 2023 Integra, and it’s a little less expensive with a handful fewer standard features. Other than that, there aren’t a ton of differences between these two cars. They do come from the same parent stable, after all. Strangely, the Civic Si comes standard with a manual, but the Integra makes you pay for it.
2023 Acura Integra vs. 2022 Hyundai Elantra N
- The 2022 Elantra N and the 2023 Integra should start around the same price
- The Elantra N is more powerful, with a 276-horsepower 2.0-liter turbo engine
- The Acura Integra has more modern styling than the Elantra N
- The 2022 Elantra N gets up to 31 mpg on the highway
The 2022 Elantra N shows again that Hyundai is often unfairly overlooked as a brand. It’s the most powerful sports sedan in this lineup and starts at a relatively affordable price. However, the Elantra N is not very exciting to look at other than a cool grille. The 2023 Integra takes the win in design.
2023 Acura Integra vs. 2022 Subaru WRX
- The Subaru WRX will likely be slightly cheaper than the Acura Integra
- The WRX is more powerful, with a 271-horsepower 2.4-liter turbo engine
- The Acura Integra is FWD; the Subaru WRX is AWD
- The 2022 WRX only gets up to 26 mpg on the highway
Both of these names, Integra and WRX, are icons in the world of sports cars, so this comparison was particularly interesting. The Integra is a little more classic sports car, with front-wheel drive and styling that better fits the image. However, the Subaru WRX is one of the most powerful cars in this lineup. Its rally heritage makes it a tough competitor.
2023 Acura Integra vs. 2022 VW Jetta GLI
- The 2022 Jetta GLI will likely be the same price or slightly more expensive
- The Jetta GLI’s 228-horsepower 2.0-liter turbo engine is more powerful
- The Acura Integra offers more available package options
- The 2022 Jetta GLI gets up to 37 mpg on the highway
The Jetta GLI and Acura Integra are really close in price and value, but Volkswagen’s sports sedan delivers more power. The 2023 Integra, however, does stand out with a wider range of options. The Jetta GLI is limited with only one real model option, while the Integra has package options and feature add-ons.
2023 Acura Integra vs. 2022 VW Golf GTI
- The Integra will likely be slightly more expensive than the 2022 Golf GTI
- The Golf GTI is more powerful, offering 241 horsepower from a 2.0-liter turbo engine
- Only the Golf GTI offers a standard manual transmission
- The 2022 Golf GTI gets up to 34 mpg on the highway
This comparison was a bit of a stretch (luxury-brand sedan vs. a hot hatch) but still a valuable contrast. The Integra will understandably cost a little more than the Golf GTI thanks to a generally larger selection of comfort features. However, the Golf GTI’s standard manual transmission and higher horsepower do give it an edge in performance over the Acura Integra.
Which sub-$35,000 sports car is the best?
Carscoops broke it all down nicely. The 2023 Integra, while an exciting new release, isn’t the most powerful or the cheapest on this list. We’re impressed with a lot of the decisions that are being made around the release of the all-new Integra, but can Acura pull out all the stops to make it a stronger contender?
The Hyundai Elantra N is the most powerful sports car in the lineup. The Subaru WRX and the Golf GTI have star power. The Civic Si gives you likely the same powertrain as the Integra for less. The Jetta GLI competes in styling and design.
For overall sports-car superiority, there isn’t a clear winner in this competition. The Acura Integra doesn’t shine the way we’d expect a sedan from a luxury brand to do against more mainstream cars, and that is a bit of surprise.