2022 Ford Maverick: Ford Heading Toward a Build-to-Order Strategy for New Cars

As the automotive industry struggles to keep up with demand due to the semiconductor chip shortage, is there a better solution for new cars? If you have seen the news lately or been to a car dealership, the options are sparse. With the 2022 Ford Maverick one of the more popular new cars slated for release next year, is this the right move?

Ford will change the way we buy the 2022 Ford Maverick

A red 2022 Ford Maverick Lariat driving down a highway with green rolling hills in the background
2022 Ford Maverick | Ford Motor Company

According to Reuters, Ford is taking a different approach to new car sales in 2022. Ford notes that the higher-priced cars and trucks have helped increase revenue throughout this tumultuous year. Ford Chief Executive Jim Farley told Reuters, “We are really committed to going to an order-based system and keeping inventories at 50 to 60 days’ supply.”

What exactly does this mean? Buyers can see a specific vehicle and a certain trim level at the local dealership but won’t be able to drive it off the lot the same day. Farley says the company is wasting money on incentives that don’t incentivize anyone. The build-to-order process is how most companies in Europe function, and it seems to work just fine.

This is also an easy way for buyers to get the desired car. If the buyer knows the color, trim level, accessories, and other optional add-ons, buyers can order the vehicle with these exact options. This is where the 2022 Ford Maverick comes into play.

How this will impact the 2022 Ford Maverick sales

The global pandemic changed how many Americas operated, including the car buying process. Instead of driving to and from dealerships, why not order a car online? Is the process of going to a dealership to haggle that important? Ford has found that the process of going to a physical car dealership to order a car is not a necessary step any longer.

In the case of the 2022 Ford Maverick, Ford plans to offer higher-end trims on dealership lots. The base model trims and hybrid trims will likely not see a dealership floor unless specifically ordered, The Drive reported.

That means if you were looking for the base model 2022 Ford Maverick for $19,995, you might have to order it. Ford anticipated most people would buy the 2.0L 250 hp Ford Maverick priced at $22,575. The automaker also expects the all-wheel drive option priced at $24,795 will be a big seller. Ford estimated that the sales of these options would account for 65% of production during the first run between those two trim options. That leaves around 35% of production for the cheaper hybrid model.

How the car buying process will change post-pandemic

It makes sense that Ford doesn’t necessarily want to push the sub-$20,000 2022 Ford Maverick vehicle. It makes for a good story and headline, but $20,000 cars don’t do very much for overall revenue. This also makes the strain on production less intense. Ford will be able to make the vehicles that people want to purchase or already have bought instead of leaving unwanted cars on the lot.

The new Ford Express Buy service allows buyers to build the car exactly as the buyer wants and price it out. Ford Credit can then approve the buyer’s credit, and the vehicle can be ordered from the comfort of home. Ford also offers Ford Blue Advantage for selling used cars online and Ford Digital Store for new car buying.

The new 2022 Ford Maverick will still be a popular vehicle, even if the base model isn’t on lots. In fact, it is a pretty clever way to get people into a more expensive truck once buyers see it in person. Good play, Ford.

RELATED: The 2022 Ford Maverick Won’t Go Over $37k With Every Added Spec