10 Cars With Over Forty MPG
Every day there is someone somewhere buying a car. Yes, even now, during this coronavirus quarantine period, someone is going to purchase a vehicle online. For those looking for fuel-efficient vehicles as their primary concern, there is a list below that may prove to be helpful.
Search criteria vary wildly for car shoppers. Some people look for the eye-candy and are not concerned too much about price. So, they will end up with a shiny new sports car or convertible. Others search for a vehicle to fill a specific need, such as a contractor looking for a pickup truck to haul equipment from site to site. Still, others are concerned with lots of space to fit their family, like those buyers that purchase minivans or SUVs. But, sometimes, purchasers are looking for a vehicle for their commutes, something that would be good on mileage for long-distance driving.
Basis for Scoring
Our friends over at Truecar.com have created a list to show what they have determined to be their ten best car picks that achieve forty or more miles per gallon. There were categories identified for this determination, and then the results calculated. The categories that were judged to develop this list are comfort/amenities, efficiency, performance, practicality/utility, and tech features. According to Trucar’s tabulation, these cars came out at the top of the list for cars achieving forty or more miles per gallon.
- The 2020 Toyota Prius Prime XLE Plug-In Hybrid
- Estimated 55 MPG city / 53 MPG highway
- The 2020 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE
- Estimated MPG city / 53 MPG highway
- The 2020 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid SE
- Estimated 55 MPG city / 54 MPG highway
- The 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid LE
- Estimated 53 MPG city / 52 MPG highway
- The 2020 Honda Insight EX Plug-In Hybrid
- Estimated 55 MPG city / 49 MPG highway
- The 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid
- Estimated 48 MPG city / 47 MPG highway
- The 2020 Lexus ES 300h Hybrid
- Estimated 43 MPG city / 44 MPG highway
- The 2019 Sonata Hybrid SE
- Estimated 39 MPG city / 44 MPG highway
- The 2020 Prius LE AWD Hybrid
- Estimated 54 MPG city / 50 MPG highway
- The 2020 Fusion Hybrid SE
- Estimated 43 MPG city / 40 MPG highway
A Word of Caution
For those that are looking for high fuel mileage figures as their primary criteria for making a purchase, there is a word of caution. This list is by no means inclusive of all vehicles that get over 40 miles per gallon. Thankfully there have been many technological advancements in the auto industry in recent years that have been adopted by the manufacturers to make corporate average fuel economy numbers rise from decade to decade. So, due diligence is appropriate because more vehicles are making over 40 miles per gallon than have at any other point previously. This is excellent news for that purchaser that is waiting to pull the trigger on the next purchase. Increased availability of vehicles that meet that requirement means that one has more opportunity to make a purchase tailored to their specific preferences.